Notifications
Clear all

Damaged skirts

David Karch
(@david-karch)
Topic starter  

I just received a tin of JSB exact express.22 pellets with a lot of the skirts misshapen. Is there a method for fixing them?

Thank you 

Topic Tags
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)

Have you considered simply returning them for a refund or exchange ???  As far as I know, the only way to fix them is to melt them down and recast.  Unless you have a press and die setup, it's time to write them off. I'm thinking about accuracy and breech fit of anything you manually reshape...

It's a shame, and makes me wonder what happened as JSB Exacts are usually primo pellets.

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)

If you have an old audio jack plug, it would straighten them out pretty good or an old Beeman pell seat tool.  Or anything else shaped similarly, could work.  May not want to use them for a match, but the pellets will still be good for plinking.  The first blast of air will resize them pretty goo too.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Yep, as Bob mentioned above, a 1/4" audio jack like these will work. It's actually kind of relaxing, too. LOL  Just kick back in front of the TV or pop on some good tunes and dig in.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-6-35mm-Female-Headphone-Connector/dp/B07GB5YZLL/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=1+4+inch+adapter&qid=1623167471&s=audio-video-accessories&sr=1-20

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote
Bigbore
(@bigbore)

Even if you straighten them I would complain to the dealer so that they know there is a problem in the distribution chain.

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)

I'm surprised by comments that damaged pellets can be reshaped.  A common price for Exact Express .22 is about $0.04 each.  Even if I was on a very tight budget, the unpredictability of a manually repaired pellet is not worth pennies of savings in my way of thinking.

It almost seems like we are landing on the hunter versus shooter argument.  There are lots of rats who raid my wife's bird feeders: one missed shot is one escaped rat.

I do see that a manually repaired pellet could be "good enough" for the OP's purposes.  To each their own, my good people! To each their own! 😉 

ReplyQuote
ribbonstone
(@ribbonstone)

I will reshape the skirts that are just a bit damaged. Generally keep the “fixed” ones separate. Even though they don’t seem to be any less accurate, prefer not to use the “fixed” ones for practice.

Mental prep counts just as much….I’d not really want to pay my fee, drive 50 miles, and use the repaired ones in a competition.

If they are really squished…..likely to just “bugger flick” them to the side.

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in UK
(@jim-in-uk)

Posted by: @bigbore

Even if you straighten them I would complain to the dealer so that they know there is a problem in the distribution chain.

Agreed.

A friend found damaged JSB pellets branded Air Arms Diabolo Field. Big problem was that he had a sleeve of them, and a second tin also contained damaged pellets. I emptied a third tin one pellet at a time, and the damaged pellets were in the shape of a cone inside the tin, the tip just off centre.

What had happened was that the pellets had not been level with the rim of the tin when the lid was pressed on. I reported the problem to Air Arms and they sent a replacement sleeve.

I'd definitely let the dealer know, and I'd email JSB with the details from the sticker on the tin base, so if the problem occurred at the factory, they can identify the batch and the issue. 

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

I made a jig...3/4" pine board and drilled in part way to secure pellet then used a Beeman pell seat tool to fix skirts...10 years ago. 

David Karch thanked
ReplyQuote