Crossed the Rubicon...

Notifications

Crossed the Rubicon for 3rd Time ... Purchased My First Chronograph: Competition Electronics ProChronoDLX  

RSS

Alejandro O. Martinez
( @aom22 )
2020-02-10 21:41:13  

A long-time ago, I remember someone related that an essential element of a serious air gunner's equipment … was a good-quality chronograph.
Well, after years … actually decades … of thinking a chrono was an extravagant purchase.
Over Christmas, I treated myself to a good chronograph.
I bought a Competition Electronics ProChronoDLX with indoor lighting kit, debris shield and storage case.
Something I should have done … a long time ago.

The system was much easier to get operational than I had expected.
The Bluetooth capability was the most significant factor in the ease of set-up.
Linking my iPhone/iPad to the chrono was painless
I had more difficulty pairing my iPhone to my iPad.

This was a wonderful surprise to me.
I just knew I was gonna have problems.
So-much-so, I set-aside an entire afternoon to work-with my chronograph.
Boy, was I glad to-be proven wrong.

Without having read the DLX owner’s manual and only viewing one short you-tube video that demonstrated the ProChronoDLX.
Was all that it took for me to get-going.

I’m still trying to figure-out how to configure the various information formats to present the raw shooting data in its most cogent form.
However, that’s the easy-stuff.
But, how-to save, transfer and share shooting-data is a bit more challenging.
This is more of a function of better-knowing my computer system than a DLX shortcoming.

One more thing … this is not a criticism - rather an all-too-obvious observation.
The ProChronoDLX in no LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph.
The DLX is a basic electronic chronograph that has been progressively changed, modified, upgraded in-order to-stay relevant and cost-effective.
At its core … it is a dated, long-in-the-tooth, electronic photo-cell system.  
Even-so, it manages to be worthy of consideration by cost-conscious airgunners.

The DLX is not the most advanced or sophisticated chrony out-there. 
But, it is practical, cost-effective, easy-to-use ... the DLX is good-enough for my intended purposes.

scratchit thanked
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-11 13:37:59  

Hi guy, ‘preciate your input, I’m kinda looking for a new speed-o-meter.

ATB

ReplyQuote
Baker Airguns Donnie
( @baker-airguns-donnie )
Member of Trade
2020-02-11 17:04:13  

Those are nice.

We use them at work.

-Donnie

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-11 17:47:03  

Kinda a toss up between the upside down Caldwell and this one. Every once in a while one will show up on the classifieds.  Tough differentiating between them. Each with their own features and benefits.  Still scratchin’ my head. 

Thanks, that helps a bit.....

ATB

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
( @aom22 )
2020-02-11 20:40:07  

Here’s your tie-breaker.
The Competition Electronics ProChronoDLX is Bluetooth enabled.
And, uses off-the-shelf 9-volt batteries.
So is the Caldwell G2 Ballistic Precision Chronograph with Tripod and Rechargeable Battery.
The Caldwell looks-like a much more complete, integrated, rugged and heavy-duty package.
All of this is reflected in a … more expensive unit.

I was aware of the Caldwell systems.
But, they were significantly more expensive.
Lower-cost and Bluetooth are the main rational for my choosing the ProChronoDLX.

Reference: Best Shooting Chronographs [2020]

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-11 22:16:39  

Hi Alejandro, I’m still in a quandary.  I’ve experienced mixed results w/Bluetooth device pairing, especially w/ apple devices.  But I’ve about had enough of my 20 something year old beta chrony.  I may have even beat it to death the last time we went around.  Not so worried about the battery.  I like lithium batteries.

Ive taken note of your avatar.  I’ve been beat with the ISO 900x stick.  I speak ISO fairly well. Also speak ANSI/AMSE, AS, and several other tongues whenever the spirit possesses me. So much for standardization.

Good to see you!

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
( @aom22 )
2020-02-11 23:54:06  

With my ProChronoDLX ... I’ve not experienced an bluetooth connectivity problems with my iPhone/iPad.

But then, I keep my IOS software up-to-date.

Competition Electronics has some downloaded apps for IOS and PC - mobile and desktop. 

Moreover, none of the Competition Electronics chronys have a USB port.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-12 00:20:40  

Do you ever get any read errors?  That’s pretty much what trashed the beta....

I’ll look a little closer, thanks

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-02-12 10:21:43  

Before upgrading a chrony check out the FX Pocket. Bluetooth and not sensitive to light. $200

gamo j
Gamo h
Gamo i

They now come with a bracket to mount it on the barrel to take out variables of height. I wouldn't go for the final zero on a target with that hanging there. Runs on 3 AAA batteries.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
( @aom22 )
2020-02-12 10:55:26  

@scratchit

Well, during a couple of shooting sessions of apprx five 5-shot strings ... I got one error.

I deleted the error on-the-spot and took a substitute shot.

That's all the inconvenience I experienced.

I tell-ya ... if money wasn't an object, I would'a shelled-out for a LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph and all-of the associated accessories.

But, then ... I'm a married man - only in my dreams.  LOL

I do own some center/rimfire firearms - sure would like to see how my projectiles were performing downrange.

With the LabRadar Chronograph, I'll bet ... I'd would be a very popular-guy at the local firing range.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-12 11:24:06  

Hi guys, 'Preciate the fdbk....

I considered the Labradar, hard.  But I'm not sure it's for me and my unique application, indoor shooting, et. al..  I've also noted that it may be sensitive to things in its peripheral vision.

I've also noted the FX.  An interesting tool and perhaps worthy of another look.  I'm not sure if it provides some of the info I'm looking for.  That is without having to do ciphering on yet another device.

Thanks for your participation.  Think I'll ponder on it a bit more.  Wonder what Ribbonstone's opinion on this subject might be?  I can't recall him ever expressing much of an opinion on things like this, hmmmmm.

ATB

edit:  magneto speed might not work so well on underlevers......

another edit:  might I also think of you as "Alex"???

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-02-12 12:37:23  
Posted by: @scratchit

Hi guys, 'Preciate the fdbk....

I considered the Labradar, hard.  But I'm not sure it's for me and my unique application, indoor shooting, et. al..  I've also noted that it may be sensitive to things in its peripheral vision.

I've also noted the FX.  An interesting tool and perhaps worthy of another look.  I'm not sure if it provides some of the info I'm looking for.  That is without having to do ciphering on yet another device.

Thanks for your participation.  Think I'll ponder on it a bit more.  Wonder what Ribbonstone's opinion on this subject might be?  I can't recall him ever expressing much of an opinion on things like this, hmmmmm.

ATB

edit:  magneto speed might not work so well on underlevers......

another edit:  might I also think of you as "Alex"???

Not sure what all the information you are looking for but I believe the FX covers all the bases. Easy to personalize to a specific gun, shot string with single delete option, several speed options, energy reading, if you are doing lower FPS like paintball or arrow easy change. If a non tech guy like me can use it I'm thinking anyone can. I even downloaded the online app. Never done that before. Plus it talks to you if you want. Announces each shot so you don't have to look at a device after each shot.

FX chrony
FX Chrony a

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-12 13:00:20  

Hi pluric, thanks....

I think my concern was with trying to evaluate ballistic coefficients down range.  Wouldn’t want to shoot the little sucker.  But I haven’t totally dismissed it. 

The LabRadar I believe would handle this well, although susceptible to a few minor niggles. Might have to hold your mouth just right.  Not sure....

Again, thanks for the feedback.  Still scratchin’ my head.......

ATB

I had a Combro once.......

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-02-12 13:19:03  

Hi pluric, thanks....

I think my concern was with trying to evaluate ballistic coefficients down range.  Wouldn’t want to shoot the little sucker.  But I haven’t totally dismissed it. 

The LabRadar I believe would handle this well, although susceptible to a few minor niggles. Might have to hold your mouth just right.  Not sure....

ATB

I had to laugh at that. 🤣 

Seen too many videos where people have either shot their chrony or a camera set up. Maybe a shout out to Nate with the airgunchannel. 😉 

A simple metal protection plate would go a long way when doing that type of work. I have a MTS scope that required two chrony's to set it up correctly. 

I've not tried to shoot the FX at distance so I can't speak from experience on that.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
( @hector-j-medina-g )
Member of Trade
2020-02-12 15:28:01  

Hi pluric, thanks....

ATB

@Scratchit

If you want to evaluate BC's over different ranges, the best way is to get TWO chronographs. They can be different chronographs, you only have to take the time to "calibrate" them against each other.

Obviously, you can use a limited window chrono near the muzzle, but downrange, you need the largest window you can get.The Pro-Chrono that Alex bought is a good example of a large window, and the IR lights CAN be driven by 2X12V batteries in series. They only drain 0.2 A, so a 1.2 Ah set can drive the lights for a good shooting session (about $8 ea).

You also need to be able to measure VERY accurately the distance between the two. This is even more important than one or 2 fps difference between chrono readings. A laser distance meter (about $200 for one capable of measuring out to 100 yards) is excellent for this application (not a laser rangefinder).

When you use two chronographs, you can do a shot by shot calculation and derive then an Average and a Sd for the  BC, but if you work with a string at short range and then another string at long range, then you will be using averages±ssd against averages±ssd, in that way it is difficult to achieve a high level of consistency and certainty of the BC's obtained, and you end up working with ranges, rather than values.

If most of your work is done with 0.22" and higher, then the LabRadar will be a better setup than getting two chronos plus all the added equipment and then doing all the work of calibration.

If you are using ONLY 0.177" caliber, then you will be limiting yourself to ranges 50 yards & under with the LabRadar.

There's a lot of considerations if you want to undertake really serious ballistic research, but it is a fascinating field.

Good luck and keep us posted!

HM

ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-13 05:56:28  

Hi Hector, I recognize you as indeed, a member of the trade!

Im workin’ on a response..... might require a bit of math on your part.  Steve used to do the math for me, I’m lame.  I haven’t seen him around??  Hopefully he’s well....

ATB

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
( @gratewhitehuntr )
2020-02-13 07:55:27  

or a small chunk of bulletproof polymer...

ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-14 04:41:49  

Morn’ Hector,

I was going to go off on some tangent about cumulative errors and the like.  Cosine type things but thought better of it...

’preciate what you’re saying if I wished to pick the fly stuff out of the pepper.  In my case just a cross check of the calculated vs. the observed.

some time ago, playing with chair gun, I not quite randomly, applied varying BC values to the entry for JSB 16gr. pellets.  Just to see what trajectories might be displayed.  I think I used 900fps as the reference speed.

edit:  50 yard zero.

i can only encourage others to play with chairgun or some similar calculator and draw their own conclusions as to how much and where downrange BC affects the pellets impact.

Thanks for your participation and ATB 

@Alex:  I guess your forte might be “team building” and the identifying of internal and external customers and the like?

ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-14 19:53:22  
Posted by: @pluric

Hi pluric, thanks....

ATB

I had to laugh at that. 🤣 

Seen too many videos where people have either shot their chrony or a camera set up. Maybe a shout out to Nate with the airgunchannel. 😉 

I try to avoid logging into goggle unless I have to. Seem to have forgotten whatever passwords I may have had for any goggle accounts I may have had.  Won’t recall.....

ReplyQuote
straitflite
( @straitflite )
2020-02-15 09:40:18  

I inquired a while back, about which chrony. I used to have the folding green (beta or whatever). After recently having my 'airgunitus' rekindled, I too was in the market for another. I bought the Caldwell upside down rig but quickly decided it's footprint and ergonomics were more than I needed so I returned it for this Caldwell:

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph-Shooting/dp/B00HTN5290/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0cj_-OHT5wIVjsDACh02qAf0EAAYASAAEgJ5ePD_BwE&hvadid=178141907263&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1023572&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17160290124609108922&hvtargid=kwd-128426741796&hydadcr=9438_9900796&keywords=caldwell+chronograph+premium+kit&qid=1581776915&sr=8-2

On paper, they have the same repeatability. As mentioned, they are simple devices really. The value lies mostly in having a reference source for changes in our guns of course. I haven't used the data/smart phone function yet but I'm looking forward to it.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-15 10:37:10  

Really appreciate your perspective.  Thnx!

ReplyQuote