Crosman 454 pistol ...

Notifications
Clear all

Crosman 454 pistol not moving BBs after seal kit rebuild  

RSS

geetee
(@geetee)
2020-01-14 22:46:11  

Hey guys & girls. My Crosman 454 CO2 pistol wasn't sealing the cartridges correctly (letting all the air out upon piercing) so I bought a seal kit and swapped out the valve and o-rings. Put it all back together, popped in a fresh CO2 cartridge (it seemed to hold. Could not hear any air escaping), and loaded it up with BBs. Upon firing it, I could see gas coming out of the barrel, but did not hit the target. Checked and saw after multiple trigger pulls, the BBs are not moving the loading lever on the top of the gun. Pulled 15-20 more times, and got nothing out of the barrel except gas. BBs are not moving thru the gun.

I pulled it apart again just now, looking for something obvious, and cannot find anything. Anyone have one of these and have ideas? I'm stumped.

Shooter II
(@shooter-ii)
2020-01-15 00:41:18  

geetee,

Did you check and see if there's anything stuck in the barrel end of the magazine that's keeping the bb's from going into the barrel? I've seen when bb's were left in the magazine for many years and the bb's would corrode and stick in the magazines of the pistols.

Just a thought...

Shooter II

ReplyQuote
cr-airman
(@cr-airman)
2020-01-15 04:49:29  

@shooter-ii

There is a metal arm that must engage a little plastic wheel on back of valve when you put trigger valve assembly back in gun. Kinda tricky to do. That is what let's bb chamber in gun.

ReplyQuote
geetee
(@geetee)
2020-01-15 07:51:09  

Yep. Got that set up right. I’m thinking maybe I put too much grease on that BB shuttle and it’s sticking. I’ll wipe it all off and try again. I thought maybe it would help but maybe not. 

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
2020-01-15 08:51:22  

Something else to look for. See my post over on the Crosman forum.

The 454 is one of my favorite BB pistols.  I've owned several over the years.  I once shot a dragonfly out of the air with one.  (Took me all afternoon, and about 5-6 CO2 carts. LOL)

ReplyQuote
geetee
(@geetee)
2020-01-15 13:02:46  

I think I have it fixed.

I backed off the cap head set screw that holds the barrel half a turn. I think I had it too tight, not letting the BBs into the barrel. I could get a shot off occasionally, but I'm guessing a BB would get stuck, and only exit the barrel once I put 10-12 trigger pulls to it, which to me means that once I put enough gas behind it, it would squeeze past. That barrel is *technically* metal, but it's compressible. Also, I had trouble with the trigger not coming back to starting position regularly. After each shot I had to really play with it in order to get it to drop again. A little grease on the trigger metal arm helped with that too.

I just put 30-40 BBs into the target box in the garage rapidly and it worked. Will run a full cartridge thru it and see how it holds up. Thanks for all the tips, people!

ReplyQuote
geetee
(@geetee)
2020-01-21 13:01:00  

Hmmm...the BB advancement thing seems to be fixed, and the CO2 seal seems to be fixed, but...the trigger sticks (and sticks hard) after every other pull. Doesn't come back easily either. If you fire rapidly, it's better, but the "aim slowly and shoot with purpose" thing sticks it at the rear of the trigger guard nearly every time. I pulled it apart (again) and....the springs are routed exactly the same way there were when I opened it for the first time. Ideas? Would love to fix this.

ReplyQuote