Crosman 1720T Field...

Notifications
Clear all

Crosman 1720T Field Target Pistol with Scope ... Crossed the Rubicon - Again: My Third PCP Pistol  

RSS

Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 19, 2020 15:11:34  

REFERENCE:  
Crosman 1720T Field Target Pistol with Iron-Sights ... Crossed the Rubicon - Again: My Second PCP Pistol

Well, I followed-through and purchased a second 1720T for use with a scope.
In this case I decided to mount a Leapers 3-12X32 Bug Buster optic.
I decided not-to-use the OEM medium-height, quick-detach, picatinny/Weaver rings included.
Instead, I purchased a separate set-of Accushot, 1-inch, low-rings to keep the scope as low as possible.
The low-rings provided just-enough-clearance for the flipping scope caps to open-and-close.

The scope-and-rings are mounted on a Weaver Tactical, AR Flat-Top, 20MOA Riser Rail, model number 99675.
I employed a drooper-rail to avoid exceeding the scope adjustment range when zeroing at 10-meters.
Moreover, the inclined picatinny/Weaver rail is adapted-to the 1720T dovetail-groove with Leapers dovetail-to-picatinny rail adaptors. 
I believe the consistent-use of a single-source-OEM scope-mounting-components contributed to a very compatible bore-axis/scope-axis alignment.

After performing a rough-zero at approximately 10-yards/meters using Crosman Premier 7.9gr hollow-points.  
With the pistol fully-rested on soft-bags making for a solid and steady hold.
The hammer-spring-tension set-at maximum and the hammer-stroke adjusted for full-travel with a fill-pressure of 3K psi.
I took a few more shots at 15-yds to "confidence-check" my scope adjustments.
Then, I moved further downrange.

The target above was fired at 20-yds.
The POA was the center of the black-diamond.
Note how close the windage-zero adjustment @ 10-m translated-to @ 20-yds.
This proved-to-me that the consistent-use of a single-source OEM-components contribute-to consistent horizontal-axes alignment.

The above pink-dot aimpoint is 1/4-inch diameter @ 20-yds,
While performing final scope adjustment, I fired approximately seven quick-consecutive shoots.
One-shot at far-right may have been as-a-result of poor eye-scope alignment issue.
The shots, to-the-left were following another scope adjustment.

The above green-dot aimpoint is 1/4-inch diameter @ 20-yds.
This was after I performed an additional set-of scope adjustments.
And, I confirmed my final zero with these three-shots.

marflow
(@marflow)
November 19, 2020 15:25:12  

so it appears that pistol is almost impossible to load with that set up

my question is why would you do that to yourself, a smaller mount would move it forward and then you would only have the fight the scope 

heck you could get a scout style scope and move it forward away from the loading area and have enough eye relief to boot 

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 19, 2020 16:00:03  

First, I considered an application-specific handgun scope.
However due to COVID-19 complications, the availability was indeterminate.
This being the case and considering I wanted to be able to take-shots at very close range ... the Bug Buster filled the bill.

I also wanted to avoid 10-meter zero problems for lack-of droop compensation.
As such, the sloped-rail ensured I wouldn't encounter that problem.

As-for loading, yes it is a bit-problematic ... but, not prohibitively difficult.
More-of an inconvenience that-is easily managed by-the-use of a "Pellet Pen" with the rubber-tip removed.
Even without a "pellet pen", it is not hard to "hand-load" a pellet.
It just takes a little-care and some-finesse. 

Further down the road, I'm considering adding an AR-15 type pistol-stock/arm-brace.
The addition of a stock/brace my entail moving the scope aft.
In any event, the scope-mount-system maybe subject to another configuration.
But for now, this set-up performs adequately for my purposes ... sparrow sniping at 15-to-25 yards.

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 19, 2020 19:52:41  

The additional heft provided-by the scope, optic rings, drooper-rail and dovetail-to-picatinny adapters has altered the handling dynamics of the 1720T.
My 1720T with peep-sights and picatinny-rails was balanced sufficiently muzzle-heavy to-hold the front-sight steady.
The same could not be said about my optics equipped 1720.

The increased-weight of the optics are set more-aft with the results being a more-neutral weight distribution.
This concentration-of-mass more-towards the receiver contributes-to a less-stable muzzle.
To-the-point, the barrel feels a-bit-flickery just-as the out-of-the-box trigger left-off is about to occur.

Not-good when your optic is set at 12-power and the target is a small sparrow with a center-mass hold at 23-yards.
It can be done ... but, it ain't easy - a real challenge in-deed.
If the target is a Eurasian-dove at about 25-yard, the shot is easier.

I've done both with center-mass holds.
And, found the 1720 was way-over-kill on a sparrow.
While being a little-on the weak-side after impacting a full-size Eurasian dove in the breast - tough flight muscles.
Kinda reminded-me of the damage a Crosman 2100 at full compression inflects on birds. 
But, the shrouded-barrel 1720T is definitely quieter.

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)
November 19, 2020 21:41:45  

I have the same pistol,love it;Custom grips help my hold,I have a Burris 3X7X32  pistol scope .I use two pc.medium mounts on it.

My Prod has a SC carbine stock,I use the Bug Buster on that "pistol"also works out great.

ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)
November 20, 2020 00:30:01  

@aom22

Is that a single shot tray i see in your picture ?

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 20, 2020 10:33:23  

Close-up of loading port ... single-shot tray

Close-up of scope-cap clearance between picatinny rail

ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)
November 20, 2020 14:14:12  

@aom22

Clever. I'm impressed with your scope set up as you have the scope in very a good location.

I have a MK 1 LD that I mounted a Bug Buster but had to clear loading port by 5/8".

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 20, 2020 22:41:28  

@crazyhorse
Awwww ... I wouldn't say clever.  
Rather, a lesson-learned from my experience-with one-of my other 1720Ts.
I didn't want to contend-with a scope that is overly-high.
Take-note in the photo below.
The cheekpiece is extended as-high as possible ... still, not quite high-enough for me.

The lower-profile of the Weaver Tactical, AR Flat-Top, 20MOA Riser Rail, model number 99675 along-with low-rings.
Place the scope at a much-more usable-level for me.  

Crosman 1720T Snub-Nose, 4.5-to-5FPE, Lothar-Walter Barrel,Challenger Stock, First-Generation Marauder Trigger
NOT-Regulated (the HUMA stick belongs on other 1720T)  
Leapers 3-12X32 Bug Buster, Hawke 1-inch Weaver Low Rings, Leapers Drooper Mount.

In due time, I'll probably will-be converting my Snub-Nose 1720T to the Weaver Tactical, AR Flat-Top, 20MOA Riser Rail set-up.

ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)

ReplyQuote
Alejandro O. Martinez
(@aom22)
November 22, 2020 20:12:29  

Actually,I'm looking at something more minimalistic.
AR-15 Pistol Buffer Tube Assembly

RAI-AOO1 Adjustable Stock Adapter for Crosman air pistol
By the way, if ya have a spare A001, I sure could use it.

I already have two full-stocked 1720Ts

Crosman 1720T Compact, 9-FPE, Huma Regulator, Lothar-Walther Barrel, Challenger Stock, First-Generation Marauder Trigger
Moderator Extension, CP 3-12X44 Spectrum / Sun Optics MED Fully-Adjustable Mounts

Crosman 1720T Snub-Nose, 4.5-to-5 FPE, Lothar-Walter Barrel,Challenger Stock, First-Generation Marauder Trigger
NOT-Regulated (the HUMA stick belongs on other 1720T)  
Leapers 3-12X32 Bug Buster, Hawke 1-inch Weaver Low-Rings, Leapers Drooper Mount.

ReplyQuote