Compressor output f...

Notifications
Clear all

Compressor output filter

Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

I would like to acquire a high pressure filter/separator for my Benjamin/Traveler compressor.  I have tried the name brand air gun dealers and I’m surprised that none of them sell separate filters.  One of the air  gun forums had a warning about the thin and weak Chinese filters.  Does anyone have a link for a plug and play output filter that won’t kill me?

Bigbore
(@bigbore)

The only dealer I have ever heard of that sells these is Joe Brancato:

Air Tanks For Sale Discounts for PCP (Pre-Compressed-Pneumatic) Air Gun by AirTanksForSale

Do a search on the dealer BOI and if you are comfortable with the reviews, that is an option. I don't have a problem with Joe and have had a couple transactions with him that went great but I have read complaints about him from time to time.

ReplyQuote
awilde
(@awilde)

I'm using one of these off amazon and so far it's been working like a champ on my yong heng compressor. Still have one of the little cotton filters on the output end line (just to potentially catch anything that might get through), still clean and more importantly dry, after dozens of fills ranging in pressure from 3k to 4k psi. Also ran a silica air dryer hosed in to replace the simple dust filter air input on the compressor which definitely has helped cut down the moisture having to be trapped. 

I had started to have a heck of a time with moisture getting into my guns during the humid days since the simple cloth filters were getting waterlogged after 3-4 refills. Now my air going into the guns is dry as a popcorn fart 😤 

Probably my only gripe with the gold filter is that it takes a little while to get the pressure built up to begin topping off your guns/tanks.

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

The Benjamin Traveler is one of the low capacity 12v/110v compressors. You can't put any of the larger filters that might be used on a Yong Heng on it. It will double (or more) your pumping time, and you will waste half of the air that you pump when you vent the system. These bigger filters are in the 50mm x 300mm size range, and cost (Ebay) in the $80-100 range.

What I have, on a Nomad II, is a filter about 35mm diameter x 150mm long. These are about $30-40. It seems to be a good size for filtering the lower volume pump, without adding excessive dead and wasted volume.

Something like this one. I replace the cotton filters inside with desiccant.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402757393655

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

The forum I had read mentioned some of the add on filters were questionably thin.  The old brain is starting to get a little fogy but I think someone had mentioned the end blowing off of one.  Just wanting to be sure I get a safe one.

Mr. Wall, could you also post where you found the desiccant?

Awilde, I like the prefilter.  I think I should open my compressor case and see if I can attach one.  

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

@michael-m

I put 1/2 of one of the cotton filters (about 1/2 inch) in each end. Here's a desiccant:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282095741418

Check it for color change every few runs.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  

I ordered this one as recommended by Big Bore.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

@michael-m

That's a big ass filter, more suited to the large compressors that he sells. You're going to be spending a lot of pumping time getting that up to pressure, and wasting all that pressure when you vent.

ReplyQuote
Bigbore
(@bigbore)

@michael-m

Be sure to watch his instruction video and read the instructions, I believe he details the proper orientation of the filter and stresses that you don't want accumulated moisture to drain upward by laying it down on its side, IIRC.

ReplyQuote
Michael M
(@michael-m)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bigbore

@michael-m

Be sure to watch his instruction video and read the instructions, I believe he details the proper orientation of the filter and stresses that you don't want accumulated moisture to drain upward by laying it down on its side, IIRC.

Thanks.  I am planning to make a caddy for the compressor and will add a mount for the filter.

Will post photos when it is completed.

ReplyQuote