Columbus air gun sh...

Notifications
Clear all

Columbus air gun show 7-10 2021

bf1956
(@bf1956)
Topic starter  

Geez really bummed no one has posted pics. no giddy look what I found etc.

Topic Tags
Bob in WV
(@bob-in-wv)

I sure sold a lot.  It was a good show.

straitflite and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @bf1956
Geez really bummed no one has posted pics. no giddy look what I found etc.

I was thinking and wondering why none has posted anything on the show myself. I posted pics of the Findlay show along with another poster so I figured to give someone else a chance to do likewise for the Midwest Airgun Show so I took no pics. Since that has not happened, I will will give a POV from the show. Keeping in mind this is only my second show.

Take a look from the 2018 show: https://www.midwestairgunshow.com/news-and-updates/pictures-from-the-2018-show/ The similarities of the atmosphere in pictures parallel the show from Saturday. I did not notice anyone from AOA but I think there may have been a rep there for them? Same with PA; Only a couple of reps and not much to display for such a large local dealer. PA had exclusively used guns and deals on dented tins of pellets. Given PA's size, it was a total letdown which was mirrored in Findlay. Step it up PA! I did buy one from their tables but later on that... Baker's stepped up in force once again so that was good to see.

This show differed from Findlay in that there was mostly name brand models from past and present that we would consider at the top of the food chain, and more tables, or at least it appeared to me. Not as much "yardsale'ish" items, novelties or non airgun related items as at Findlay. Many 'serious' airguns and same folks as Findlay, just more of them in Columbus. A couple sellers cited their built up cache from the lack of shows during covid. This show had silent auctions as soon as you walked through the door on some pretty nice guns. I bid on a .177 HW57 which amongst others, was showing several bids so I let that one go since I have one in .22.

Mike Abernathy was there and was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a pleasant sense of humor to boot! Bought from him too. Dave Slade was to be present but had a personal issue to contend with at home. Mike A. had several Theoben's...different versions of Sirocco's and Eliminators to include a MK1 TH & others that were priced lower than any I've ever seen. He pointed out which ones needed a recharge and offered the service on the cheap from either Slade or Tom Rutherford! He had a MK3 .20 Eliminator with Heyeadu(sp?) African wood that was ready to rock, shooting at full spec and complete with the muzzle "softener" thingy. His tables were near the front so I basically ran into him from the first. Had to calm myself and make a quick walk around before returning to his table to lay down the money for the .20, which was now gone! SUMBITCH!!! Show started at 9am and I was there at 8:58 which shows how fast things can happen on great deals such as that one!

no giddy look what I found etc

Now let's address that part LOL

Top to bottom:

FWB 603 jr

Slightly used Birmingham Beeman Kodiak .25

Virtually new HW90 .22

Show Guns

Mike Abernathy HW50S stock which for a small fee he is going to checker forearm and send it to me:

MA 50s2
MA 50s1

SS3 1.5x-4x. I had no idea the SS3 was so small compared to an SS2 which is perfect size for the 603jr. It has rail adaptors with it and I'm thinking it will clear the standard loading gate...we'll see. The SS2L 4X I took off the Kodiak. Already have tracking number for another Luepold 3-9 EFR for that gun.

Scopes

This sticker is on the Kodiak's barrel underside near the breech. I cannot find any info on the business printed. Anybody ever heard of them?

Casanova

I also picked up another rifle for a friend that has already paid me for. It is not mine so I'll not post anything in its regards.

The show was an airgunner's dream and I do not know where else I could have gotten the deals that I managed. Again, as in Findlay, simply extremely kind people! I met oldair and had a pleasant exchange with him as well. I walked around the tables so much so as not to miss anything but that is almost impossible. My feet were hurting as it was LOL 

bf1956 and Citizen K thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
Topic starter  

@straitflite  Looks like Casanova's had some BATF issues. Might not be around anymore, I'll try there phone later.

straitflite thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
Topic starter  

@straitflite  Looks like Casanova's had a BATF issue. Not sure if they are around anymore, might try to getem on the phone later. Oh and those Abernathy stocks, sheeeezzz are they nice or what. Gonna have to have one. I'm thinkin R9...

straitflite thanked
ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Way back in the day (70's-80's) I stopped in at Casanova's a couple times. I grew up in the Milwaukee suburbs. I don't think I ever bought anything. I'm pretty sure they were denied their FFL due to a felony. That is probably why they specialized in air guns. I'm not sure if this is them now or a completely differently company with the same name:

https://casanovas-performance-motorsports.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

This was inside a 1981 Gun Digest. So they were still in business then.

IMG 20210712 154956508

bf1956 and straitflite thanked
ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)

Posted by: @rockdoc65

Way back in the day (70's-80's) I stopped in at Casanova's a couple times. I grew up in the Milwaukee suburbs. I don't think I ever bought anything. I'm pretty sure they were denied their FFL due to a felony. That is probably why they specialized in air guns. I'm not sure if this is them now or a completely differently company with the same name:

https://casanovas-performance-motorsports.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

This was inside a 1981 Gun Digest. So they were still in business then.

IMG 20210712 154956508

I too remember Casanovas. I grew up in Milwaukee, north shore suburb. Haven't heard that in 30+ years. I still have a pair of Nikon binocs that I bought from Casanovas, early 80s.

ReplyQuote
MDriskill
(@mdriskill)

I really appreciate seeing these notes and pics! I was starting to wonder if anyone had actually gone, LOL. But sounds like a great show, and well-tuned to my interests.

It's a long drive from Tennessee to Ohio - hard to hit both Findlay and Columbus just a month apart. But this year I made my first Findlay trip and hopefully I'll be able to give Columbus a go next year.

straitflite thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Looks like Casanova's had some BATF issues

I think I saw something along those lines as well...dating back to 1969!? Wow

Way back in the day (70's-80's) I stopped in at Casanova's a couple times. I grew up in the Milwaukee suburbs.

Awesome info. I did a google map street level view and had a lookee see. They would have been at a major arterial hub intersection! Wonder what it would cost to set up any kind of business at that location today? Bet it would cost a fortune. I actually have the very same Gun Digest you have pictured, without that proprietors stamp obviously. Thanks for the pic!

Posted by: @jiminpgh

I too remember Casanovas. I grew up in Milwaukee, north shore suburb. Haven't heard that in 30+ years. I still have a pair of Nikon binocs that I bought from Casanovas, early 80s.

Cool. Now I two witnesses that have actually been in the place 😀 Not sure but from the map it looks like that area is an historic part and maybe the original setting for Milwaukee itself.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Posted by: @mdriskill

sounds like a great show, and well-tuned to my interests.

From seeing your posts through the years, I believe that to be an accurate statement 😀 

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend both shows. For that I'm quite happy/lucky. I'll bet I looked right at you in Findlay and could have even spoken to you without knowing. People at these things are easy to talk to and the experience has me wanting to attend more when feasible -even if I don't buy a single thing.

There was a sizeable shooters group from Arkansas represented with tables and nice guns as well. I apologize for forgetting the name of the group.

edit: Doubt if anything would have exceeded what you have but yes, interesting goodies 🙂

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

Edit: Where I wrote Tom Rutherford, that should have read Martin Rutherford of Theoben.

ReplyQuote
RockDoc65
(@rockdoc65)

Posted by: @straitflite

"Awesome info. I did a google map street level view and had a lookee see. They would have been at a major arterial hub intersection!"... "I actually have the very same Gun Digest you have pictured, without that proprietors stamp obviously. Thanks for the pic!"

I just checked "street-view" as well.  If my memory serves, Casanova's was in the building that is now "Pete's Fruit Market." This is really dusting off the old files. I think I parked right in front of the place and they were not busy. I seem to remember not getting the red carpet treatment. I was young and was "just looking." Can't really blame them for ignoring me.

As far as the Gun Digest go, I got 'em all. 75 years, 1944 to 2021. The math doesn't work out. They skipped a few years in the beginning. I didn't want to become a collector, it just sort of happened.

Some time in the late 80's or early 90's some friends and I drove to the Sheridan factory in Racine, WI. We couldn't get any kind of tour but they did have a nice little "museum" in the lobby. I bought a "factory blem" pump pistol while there.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

As far as the Gun Digest go, I got 'em all. 75 years, 1944 to 2021

That's quite a collection!! I only have 4 editions.

Some time in the late 80's or early 90's some friends and I drove to the Sheridan factory in Racine, WI.

I was born one city to the south of Racine in Kenosha but moved to Ohio when I was 2. My dad was an engineer for American Motors Corp for a spell. Went to Naval boot in Waukegan and managed to revisit the area years ago. I have family all over the state, most are farmers...cowboys with snow mobiles LOL.

It was good to hear that a couple folks have actually visited Casanovas. Another one of those numerous airgun shops that faded into the sunset. I remember when I could be about anywhere and stumble on a store. I used to get quite giddy when I saw the little 5 star Beeman dealer sign on a gun store window 😀 I too remember being young with little money and it must have showed so I can recall the attitudes at times, but not always. A few stores would let me take one outside and shoot it. Somewhere out in the boonies in the state of Washington, a dealer insisted that me and my Navy buddy shoot the then new R1 outside which was unlike anything I ever beheld. Being on enlisted pay it was either throw our money in together on it or the option we took, which was buying 2 RWS model 45 rifles...and of course another Beeman catalog LOL. Ahhh the good 'ol days.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
Topic starter  

Okay here it is, a little follow upon why I started this topic. Rainy days and computers have a tendency for me to want. So I see ad here, HW55 Tyrol for sale. Not so nimble nuts here scrambles to the response by saying, hey I need a pic of yhe barrel shroud which was not in the ad. Although he stated I was the first inline it was sold before I even got a pic back. Oh well wasn't meant to be. So I post here the ad about someone going to the show if they would hook me up with a seller with said piece. Well low and behold I get a text from a fellow heading to the show and says give me a call I'd be more than happy to help you out. This kind Gentleman came through, talk about a Happy Ending. Thanks Bo you are awesome to say the least! Your new friend Chester.

straitflite thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

@bf1956 

Thank you my friend! Glad to be able to help. I love it when a plan comes together.

Btw, your appreciation came through in payment quantity for shipping. You are indeed a generous man yourself🙂

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite 

Well done, Bo! Good to hear that you've been able to help out yet another fellow airgunner. And I'm glad to see that you managed to get yourself a "couple" of souvenirs this time 'round too, lol. Awesome 50S stock! Too bad the cheek rest is on the wrong side, though. 😆

@bf1956

Good to hear that Bo came thru for you and found a seller with what you were looking for. He's definitely one of the forum good guys. Congrats! And don't forget to post up a few pics of it. 😉

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

@jim-in-swmo 

Back atcha’ Jim!

You have helped me a bunch.

btw, finally got the R7 back together and did the delrin fitment in its cocking arm with the piece you gave me from ARH. No more galling on the main tube😎 Still need to run the new ARH kit in that I got for it though. Should be an excellent porch gunner! 

bf1956 and Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite 

You're right, it should make a great little porch gun. And so should those 50s and the 57, too.

I'll be keeping an eye out to see how your R7 does with the new kit. Glad you got the insert in the R7. I still need to get the piece for mine put in. Also need to get an order together to JM and get a kit for my R7, among other things. BTW, did you get the new safety put in the R7?

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
Topic starter  

@jim-in-swmo   Yes Sir! You will get some Doozies. But don't hold your breath, I'm kinda slow.

Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@bf1956 

👍  Will be looking forward to them.

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

@jim-in-swmo 

Posted by: @jim-in-swmo

did you get the new safety put in the R7?

Yes, it fit like it was meant to be LOL Don't know why that seller didn't advertise them to also fit the R7/30. Looks great and very functional too. I'll post on the R7 in the near future with pics included...of course! 🙂 

Jim in SWMO thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@straitflite 

Cool. Maybe it's all in my head but I thought it functioned smoother than the factory safety. But that might be in part due to the bigger button, too. But yeah, they do look great and work well. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote