Clamping an air rif...

Notifications
Clear all

Clamping an air rifle to keep it still.

(@blowgun)
Topic starter  

Hi all, the jump of my Springer makes it impossible for me to trust the consistency of a string of shots. That is, whether the spread is a function of the rifle or a function of my old bones. I want to test this rifle for innate accuracy, and I'm thinking that clamping it into a stand could possibly produce the most consistent string, and reveal any inherent inaccuracy that's built into this rifle. I would use stiff foam or a couple layers of carpet as padding for the rifle so it always returns to its original position after each shot. But, I'm concerned that clamping it like that could tweak the metal parts or break the stock under the the high g's of the firing lash. The shock load, so to speak. Unfortunately for me I suppose, I'm past my prime and have inherited tremor and poor eyesight so holding a bead on a tiny bullseye is less accurate for me now than it was 30 years ago so that's why I think I need a clamp solely for this purpose. It would be easy for me to make one, I'm good at woodworking and have all the tools. If I end up making one, I'll show the build in the DIY forum. Thank you for any input.

Topic Tags
Doug Wall
(@doug-wall)

Trying to clamp down a springer is probably a bad idea for the reasons that you listed. Are you using a good scope? If not, get one. It will really help to offset the vision issues. Resting the gun on a decent rest, and using good shooting technique should take care of a lot of the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@blowgun)
Topic starter  

@doug-wall.      Thank you for that. It certainly don't want to risk my gun. I can imagine a way to make a rest that will allow my rifle to jump, and always return to the exact same position or very close to it. Not as precise as a clamp but it will have to do.

ReplyQuote
GLPalinkas
(@glpalinkas)

As the "GodFather of Airguns" Mr Tom Gaylord states, the artillery hold on the rifle allows exactly what you are describing in your reply. An artillery cannon is allowed to move (recoil) as the shot is taken and returns to place. Thus, the accuracy of the down-range follow-up shots are not altered from the original target area. 

Here is a link to his website and excellent advised. I can't shoot a springer worth a darn (I am also, as you say past my prime so I shoot PCP's)

http://thegodfatherofairguns.com/articles/

Gary
Venice, FL

ReplyQuote
(@blowgun)
Topic starter  

@glpalinkas.  And the others who replied. Thanks for the advice. I'm not too hung up on accuracy, but I do enjoy marksmanship with guns and archery, for almost my entire life. Whenever I hit a dime at 30 yards I still get a rush! I have to admit that I lean toward power a bit more than accuracy. That's why I know that the .25 avenger is my next air rifle. Whenever I get a real hankering for the feel of power all I have to do is fire my 62 caliber smoke pole.

ReplyQuote
Bigbore
(@bigbore)

A good tune will go a long way towards taming most guns. What are you shooting? Pellets?

Jim Bentley thanked
ReplyQuote
RedFeather
(@redfeather)

I would never clamp a springer. Considering how hold sensitive most can be, I'm sure accuracy would go straight out the window. If you are looking for consistency you might try using a little of the blue painter's tape which comes off easily. Take your grip. Notice where your hands are and then apply the tape. You can move it as you find the best hold for accuracy. And dont forget to check the stock screws for tightness. If they become loose then changing technique becomes like a dog chasing its tail.

One other thing about clamping guns. If there is any significant recoil it can break the stock. Guns have to be free to recoil to some degree.

ReplyQuote
(@marflow)

the hold is only as good as you are duplicating it over and over again 

so you are trying to make a Ransom Rest for a springer rifle and you like the feel of hitting small target but our old bones are holding you back 

so buy a different rifle, a Hammerli 850 could do the job, the FWB 300 or Diana 75 would do the job 

any old SSP rifle would do the job 

instead of lashing the rifle down but a different tool 

and if that is not what you want to do, just struggle with what you have 

and if you were to strap the rifle down are you going to be able to cock it without it moving  at all if not what's the point and to those who says don't 

i too don't think it is great idea but hey it is your rifle and for a test go ahead but then again will it help the old bones as you state

i

ReplyQuote
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

I have also read that you cannot clamp a springer.  I have been into airguns for most of my life and honestly don’t know where the lines between fact and myth go.  I say test it for yourself! I get my best groups with springers when the forearm is laid directly on a rest even though others say this is not true.  I find the RWS 54 to be hold sensitive even though others say it is not.   I would try using a lightweight plastic rest and a remote trigger pull device and re-aim after every shot. I am eager to see your results. 

David Enoch

ReplyQuote
(@boscoebrea)

Forgetabout,just shoot the darn thing and become a better shot...simple fact You the man are the one that needs to be consistent...it is about groups,can you shoot good groups....if so then your springer is working,tell you I have Never had a Good springer that could not shoot out shot me...and I do rest my springers on a towel when shooting seated...I try my best to be consistent,same hold, same eye placement same trigger squeeze....and the same Pellets that shoot really good in that springer...

Why not just say what springer you are shooting?We can see if we can help you with the right pellets.the right hold...

I know it can be frustrating,it like going fishing all day and not getting a single bite.... but that is what you got to do to catch fish...go fishing.

ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)

I put my R9 .20 cal on a bag rest and shoulder it...The trick is the trigger...pull it and don't release it until your shot hits the target. I'm 78.

Beeman R9 .20 Cal 007

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote