Buying and Selling ...

Notifications
Clear all

Buying and Selling Airguns

(@matheu)
Topic starter  

Does anyone else feel like buying and selling airguns seems limited and or uncoordinated when it comes to searches and filtering?  I do like browsing this and other sites looking for things to buy and sell, however its not very smooth and seamless when you compare it to say an automotive website.  There are sites the specialize in airguns but i don't think everyone knows that they exist because i find airguns on the most random sites, even firearms sites.  Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like there should be something a bit more cohesive to this activity.  Thoughts?

Topic Tags
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Agreed, but I think it has to do with the limited market and cottage industry.

Take Rockauto.com for example. They spend a LOT of time sourcing parts, for whatever, FROM wherever.

How does that compare to, for example,  airgun importers claiming that there are no user serviceable parts on airguns?

It puts a real crimp in the flow.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

The classifieds here on the forum do let you search by category. But it's nowhere near as detailed a search as what you'll find on most firearms classifieds.

What would be nice is if there were a "classifieds graveyard" here on the forum where you could search what items have sold for in the past so you can see if something has a decent price on it or if selling you can price your item accordingly. I think it would be a great source of info.

ReplyQuote
(@a29adriver)

I believe your premise that buying and selling air guns is limited and un-coordinated is correct.  However, I don't think the problem is going to be resolved any time in the near future.  One website like this one (Airgunwarriors) could improved the classifieds area to the complete satisfaction of the members (10 different ways to find items for sale, archives, price ranges, etc.), but other air gunning websites might feel that classifieds are not the main reason for the forum, but participation in the forum is paramount (Crosman Air Pistol Owners, you have to have 30 posts before you can even see the classifieds) and being able to sell and buy is secondary.  Software for the forums probably is developed with lots of different things it can do and one area of the form allows members to buy and sell, but no one area gets more attention from the developers unless they get money (lots of money) to improve that area.

MATHEU maybe you and I could help the community by coming up with a list of different websites where you can buy and sell air guns and list the pro's and con's of each one, maybe it could be a fill in method and the sites might improve themselves if they see that it has value for them.  I am willing to spend some time and effort and I am sure I will learn something in the process.

ReplyQuote
RedFeather
(@redfeather)

OMG, NO! Then EVERYONE will see them. Worse yet, I might find a new one to cruise, then how will I ever get any sleep? (Or stay out of the Poor House? Do they still have Poor Houses?)

Most firearms auction sites have a category for airguns and use the same search filters as for powder burners. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of sites now. Mainly the few forums and big auction sites. Compared to firearms, airguns are relatively low volume.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

One option is to go to sites where air guns occasionally show up...create an account then type your keywords in the search field...then save the search of your keywords for email notifications for when the item(s) are listed. I do this for Ebay and several other sites to include firearms sites, with several searches saved for each to see what is selling and for how much.

I completely get what you are saying but before the www it was even harder to impossibly frustrating. Searches consisted of catalogues, local yellow pages, mail, wasted road trips, time etc. Rather than complaining about it realize for a moment if you will, when we need a part or whatever how much easier it is -yielding to current technology. It is so much easier to spend money now more than ever. In a funny sort of way, I miss the days of only having 2 or 3 quality air guns and finding blissful happiness with what just came in the mail, then load and simply shoot. Having said that, I'm happier having more options, albeit more expansively costly due to marketing and opinions. The web has somehow fragmented it all yet brings it all home at the same time.

It would be nice to have one site for it all but then there would be less competition which is not a good thing IMO.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)

@redfeather

Posted by: @redfeather

Do they still have Poor Houses?

Yes, those still exist! A Google search will result in several....WITH NO MONEY DOWN. Cardboard quality has come a long way 🤣 

ReplyQuote
(@a29adriver)

Posted by: @straitflite

@redfeather

Posted by: @redfeather

Do they still have Poor Houses?

Yes, those still existfi! A Google search will result in several....WITH NO MONEY DOWN. Cardboard quality has come a long way 🤣 

I think your reply is to the poor house (no capital letter for the first word) rather than Poor House or could you be referring to:

https://www.chicopourhouse.com/

ReplyQuote
(@matheu)
Topic starter  

I feel you guys.  im just as frustrated when i can't just walk up to a website and find a clearly marked search bar and type in what im looking for.  Furthermore its frustrating when there are ghost listings popping up that have items that have sold or ended years ago.  If im looking for a lefty springer of certain a manufacturer why cant that be an easy search with a simple form fill? If i go to an airgun show and find a couple of sweet vintage pieces it'd be nice to share those for re-sale and find others like it for sale in an organized manner. This site has one of the easier access points thats simple to use. 

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyordinary)

Posted by: @matheu

im just as frustrated when i can't just walk up to a website and find a clearly marked search bar and type in what im looking for.

This presupposes a few things, prime would be that the lister would need to fill in an extensive if not exhaustive form in order to post an advert. Otherwise you will be looking for Crossmans, FWB (good luck with that search on Google), Hatsons, Finewokbow, Wiereachs, boingers etc etc. Ain't going to fly, especially if that lister is on cellphone. Heck there is one guy on here that lists everything from springers to pellets under the PCP category because it's too much effort to pick the correct category from an easy drop down list.

As far as I can tell the classifieds system on here does allow for natural text search EG (left hand) in "Springers": https://airgunwarriors.com/classifieds/search-ads/?awpcp-step=dosearch&keywordphrase=left+hand&searchcategory%5B%5D=29&searchname=&searchpricemin=&searchpricemax=

ReplyQuote
RedFeather
(@redfeather)

It should have selections such as:

What I Want

What I Really Really Want

What I Cannot Resist (Alternate "Pass Up")

No Buyer Remorse

Hmmm.....List that one first.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

I was thinking more about parts and accessories, like the double male shroud cap someone wanted for their Sparrow.

Posted by: @jonnyordinary

especially if that lister is on cellphone.

ReplyQuote