Notifications
Clear all

Buttpads/plates  

RSS

josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
August 31, 2020 09:00:38  

Ok, we all know that adjustable buttpads/plates help us in our quest towards accuracy. I for one could care less about power to some extent but I am looking for ways to help my Prosport and myself to become a better shooter. A more accurate shooter. I know that practice is utmost but having the tools to aide oneself is necessary. So this is what brings me to this question.

I don't have a money to spend lavishly so I would like to know what type of adjustable buttplate/pad is recommended for a Air Arms Prosport. I need it to be adjustable for height but if the product has cant adjustability then so the much better. I have a scope level for any canting issues but nonetheless if its there then I will take advantage of it. So here are i guess the parameters I would like the adjustable buttpad/plate to fall into.

1) Height Adjustable

2) Easy "for me" to install. If anyone knows me and my past for "tinkering" then you should know what "easy" is, lol.

3) Affordable "to/for me" in the $20-$60 range (if there is such a thing/range)

4) Cant adjustable (not necessary but will take it if it has it).

Please include a link or the name and best place to acquire one. I'm very appreciative.

Thank you guys for your time in responding

(Cross Posted)

Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
August 31, 2020 09:34:50  

Josh;

I have installed three types of adjustable plates that fit into the "easy" category:

RE's: https://rowanengineering.com/products6.htm#tx200buttpad   A bit more expensive, but nicely done and if you take proper measuremenst, as outlined in their website (there are two basic stock sizes for TX-200/ P-S  stocks), easy to fit.

Morgan Premium: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/butt-plate-parts/butt-plates/rifle-curved-premium-pad-prod26879.aspx (more expensive than the RE's and quite a bit more than you want)

Morgan Rifle (not premium) : https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/butt-plate-parts/butt-plates/rifle-complete-straight-pad-prod8740.aspx (about the same cost, but it is plastic.

Do NOT get the flat pads, those are for shotguns and are hard to make the shooting position repeatable.

Installing the plates by GRACO is definitely NOT in the "easy" category.

HTH

HM

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
August 31, 2020 14:50:17  

awesome Hector.  Out of the 3 which do you suggest? RE look very nice

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
August 31, 2020 18:58:53  

I really like these.

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/postid/18645/

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
August 31, 2020 22:03:13  

Just out of curiosity, do you guys/gals feel the need for the buttpad to be able to cant? Or is the up and down just enough?

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
September 2, 2020 12:36:26  

@jiminpgh those are pretty nice.  does it add a lot to LOP?

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
September 2, 2020 16:57:06  
Posted by: @josh3rd

@jiminpgh those are pretty nice.  does it add a lot to LOP?

The BSB adjustable buttplate adds roughly 1 1/4" to the raw end of the stock, once the original butt treatment is removed.  So if you have a 3/4" rubber buttpad, it would add about 1/2".  Frankly, I've put these on target guns, which have (in my opinion) uncomfortably short LOPs, and I have welcomed the slight increase.  I have one on my Daisy 753, with a 3/4" spacer, one on my QB in the Anschutz target stock, with a 1" aluminum spacer, and one on my Daisy 887, with no spacer.  I've since sold the Tau 200, but the LOP on both of the Daisies and the QB is 13 1/4" with the BSB installed. 

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
September 2, 2020 17:34:09  

@jiminpgh brother I want to thank you for your opinion, suggestion and experience with these options.

ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
September 2, 2020 18:57:22  

Josh;

I have used mostly the Morgan Premium for installs for clients and it is a guarantee. Easy to do, easy to fit, and works.

The plastic one, I have used in a couple of builds and though it is well made, it does not have the "presentation" that the aluminum one has. But if the budget is the budget, by all means, stick to the budget!

The RE one is very nice looking. Like most British things, somewhat "whimsical" to our American way of thinking. But it works well and detracts absolutely nothing from the appearance of ANY gun.

Brian (Samson, UK) is a great guy. Personally, I would not use some of those colors, but ¡Hey! life is short, right?  I'm sure you cannot go wrong with those. Have never used them, but I would trust his products implicitly.

I have been moving away from specialized "thingies" for FT, as I feel it detracts from the sport. So I have been seriously considering NOT installing an adjustable buttplate in my NTM LGV.

Live and learn.

😉

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

josh3rd thanked
ReplyQuote
NAIAD
(@naiad)
September 4, 2020 21:32:23  

If I had the butt measurements, I'd print you a butt hook like the one I made for my FX Wildcat.

IMG 0783

ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
September 16, 2020 16:06:04  

@hector-j-medina-g Does R.E. have a pad for the R9? All I could see was for the 77&97 Thanks.

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
September 17, 2020 00:35:17  

@naiad001  i PM'd you

ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
September 17, 2020 17:47:28  
Posted by: @bf1956

@hector-j-medina-g Does R.E. have a pad for the R9? All I could see was for the 77&97 Thanks.

In reality, you need to look at ALL the buttpads they offer, as stock dimensions are NEVER truly standard.

For example,. IF I were to buy a pad for my LGV, I would order one for the ProSport/TX200, why?  because the dimensions of my stock more closely match those.

So, look at ALL the dimensions of their buttpads in the catalog:

https://rowanengineering.com/products22.htm#lgulgvbuttpad

https://rowanengineering.com/products9.htm#bsabuttpad

https://rowanengineering.com/products10.htm#daystatebuttpad  

HTH!

If you still have problems, let me know.

HM

ReplyQuote
Hector J Medina G
(@hector-j-medina-g)
Member of Trade
September 17, 2020 19:54:01  
Posted by: @josh3rd

.66" down from top center of stock butt to center of screw hole. .72" up from bottom center of stock butt to center of screw hole. Hope that helps. 

Josh

The important dimensions are the two major axis of the ellipsoid:

Hope I have made myself clear now.

HM

ReplyQuote
josh3rd
(@josh3rd)
September 17, 2020 20:01:30  

crystal brother but that post that you just replied to was meant to go somewhere else, lol

ReplyQuote