Best out of box spr...

Notifications
Clear all

Best out of box springer

pepncas
(@pepncas)
Topic starter  

Looking for my first nice springer in the 500ish $ range preferably new , great performance out of the box . 177 or 22 will mostly be target practice off the front porch, iron sights no scope . Along the lines of FWB 300 or 150 maybe . Tia

bf1956 thanked
Topic Tags
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)

For what you want I would look for a used FWB 300S.  You cannot buy anything close to that design or quality new.

David Enoch

bf1956 and pepncas thanked
ReplyQuote
marflow
(@marflow)

out of the box, as being new, well your choice are few with the price range and open sights, at Pryamyd Air only the Diana 48 would fit 

i think David is right about the FWB 300 but they don't have boxes and there prices have been on the increase for some time now 

and the 300 isn't the lightest rifle and neither is the 48 

to change the type of rifle a Hammerli 850  m2 comes in both .177 and .22 has a Lothar Walther barrel, the open sight are there, can be run off 88gr or 2 x 12gr cartridge adapter, is not heavy, is multi shot, with a simple to load mag, barrel is thread for LDC and has a rail for a bipod  and it comes in a box maybe

Umarex 850 M2 .22 cal CO2 multi-shot Air Rifle Airgun | Umarex USA

no wood for a stock, black plastic but for what you want to do it is an option 

just a thought no more

mike

ReplyQuote
boscoebrea
(@boscoebrea)

Get a used German old style target rifle,like what you have mentioned,they come up every couple of weeks on this site;I would say $600 would be a more real price....

A new R-7 would be a fun plinker,light and easy to use and accurate.

ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

Can't argue with the R7/HW30S that boscoebrea mentioned above. I have one of each, a scoped R7 and an HW30S with a Williams peep sight. Nice accurate rifles. They are easy to cock and lightweight so won't wear you down if you want to shoot all day. Only 2 downsides. One is they sometimes need to have the rivet that connects the two sections of the cocking arm together loosened up a bit or the arm can rub on the bottom of the tube. But if needed it's an easy fix that takes about 15 minutes. The other downside, for now anyway, is that they are very hard to find due to the pandemic.

ReplyQuote
DonC
 DonC
(@donc)

I have FWB Sport breakbarrel. Has the real nice iron factory sights. The rear sight is fantastic.  Fit and finish are incredible. A little higher than your budget limit but worth every penny. Not pellet fussy and very accurate. 13 t/lbs and fun to shoot.

pepncas thanked
ReplyQuote
pepncas
(@pepncas)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone! Decided on a HW50s 

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim in SWMO
(@jim-in-swmo)

@pepncas 

Congrats! I think you'll like it. (I have one of those, too. 😉)

I have a Maccari kit in mine and it's running at about 10.25ft-lbs with the 7.87gr Air Arms Express. At that power level it's like shooting a slightly bigger HW30, but with more "oomph", lol. And mine is just as accurate, if not more so, as my HW30 or R7. That said, the HW50S can also suffer from the cocking arm rivet being too tight. Easy fix, though. Just take the action out of the stock and support the cocking arm with a piece of wood under the rivet that joins the two pieces. Give the rivet a couple of fair taps with a smallish center punch on each end and that should loosen it up so it can move freely.   P.S. - Don't lose the tiny nut for the rear trigger guard screw when you take the action out of the stock.

pepncas and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)

@pepncas   Excellent choice!

pepncas thanked
ReplyQuote
Napi
 Napi
(@napi)

I have both of the aforementioned, the hw30s and HW50s. For me they're perfect right out of the box. The 50 is a little more weight and fpe but that's it. The 50 is currently available at AOA.

pepncas thanked
ReplyQuote