Best Airgun Compres...

Notifications

Best Airgun Compressor for the $$  

RSS

Luckystrike
( @luckystrike )
2020-02-04 15:08:13  

Hey guys and gals,

Go ahead and call me lazy.  I am tired of pumping up my TalonP.

Does anyone have any great recommendations on compressors that can be plugged into the wall?  I am looking for longevity out of this compressor.  Something that is going to last!

Thanks!

Charlie

Topic Tags
DonC
 DonC
( @donc )
2020-02-04 15:26:24  

Shoebox has good reviews. Requires filters for clean dry air. They can be pricey.

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
( @sonnysan )

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )

ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-05 01:40:23  

Try and find a used Bauer, a Junior or its predecessor the Utilus-10.

That said, how many rounds per week/month/year do you shoot?  

Once upon a time, I shot 1k rnds/wk out of a .22 cal., 30 ft.lb rifle. I refilled my, believed to be, 88 cu.ft. Scott (luxfer) air pak once/wk.  I also believe that my 88 cu.ft., 60 minute bottle is the equivalent of a 97 to perhaps 100 cu.ft. bottle  as marketed  to the airgun community based on some sales/marketing hooey.

I've been mistaken before.....

Bon Chance!

addendum;  filled to 300 bar and refilled at about 200 bar.

another note:  Traded an M1-S90 for mine,  Mid '90's vintage, hardly used.  Search HARD!

ReplyQuote
Doug Wall
( @doug-wall )
2020-02-05 07:21:28  

The old saying- "you get what you pay for", generally applies here! Remember, that you should make sure that you have appropriate oil/water separators, and desiccant added on (extra cost).

I have a Nomad II, with an added desiccant filter. It's slow, and not for tanks, but it works well for me.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
JW652
( @jw652 )
2020-02-05 12:13:08  

Am extremely happy with a Kidde, four stage compressor purchased from Jim Sheldon who had an ad here. It is four stage and produces K-quality air (breathing air). They are made for military aircraft and are appropriately reliable and rugged. Very similar to the Bauer Jr. They are rated to work from -30 F to +120. As an old divemaster,  licensed scuba tech, and, mixed gas blender the design is very familiar and have seen these and similar models used around the world. Easy to use, maintain, and, produce absolutely dry air.

I use them to fill my high capacity/pressure, K-valve, (they will do DIN as well) steel tanks and then use various decant devices for individual rifles. 5000 psi capable, although I set the blow off safety valve for 4000.

The cost is $2500 plus shipping. They come ready to plug in to a single phase 220. Any electrician can simply combine two 110 leads from your breaker box to get the 220 for about $50. A lot of money, but it will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance. Hard to say enough good things about it.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-05 13:40:39  

@jw652

I'd buy that!

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-02-05 14:02:36  

Do you have a local source to fill a tank? Paintball, scuba an in at a fire station? I started out with tanks and then moved on to home fill. My experience with the Chinese compressor was negative. Got a Bauer Junior II and more recently a 220v Daystate for another location. I have some other family members that shoot so I can kind of justify it.

If you have a reliable local air source I'd try that first. A lot of money can be invested for just one gun.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
TerryVanpool
( @tvanpool )
2020-02-05 18:32:23  

Everyone's needs and resources are different so there is no one size fits all solution to your question. For me, about 5 years ago I got fed up with bi-weekly trips to get my tank filled for $10 plus two hours of time, then get a less than full charge. So I chose to get an Airetex 45, cost me about $2800. I plugged it in and it has filled my tank and others for friends maybe 200 times with dry breathable air with no maintenance other than one oil change. It will fill a 88 cu ft tank from 3k to 4.5k in 8 minutes and from empty in 20 minutes. Only time will tell how long it will last but so far so good, plus if I wanted to sell it I probably can get most of my money back. At least that's my reasoning for going this route.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
BillK
( @billk )
2020-02-06 00:49:41  

I get my tanks filled (Great White & next size down) for $22 with about $5 in gas to get to the fill station and an hour in time total.

Would take me a very long time to recoup the cost of a compressor.

Plus. there is a good coffee shop close by.  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Luckystrike
( @luckystrike )
2020-02-07 21:28:41  

Where’s the most cost effective place to buy a mediums size tank from with filling equipment?  Something I can carry with ease.

ReplyQuote
Luckystrike
( @luckystrike )
2020-02-07 21:52:16  

Would I be able to get around 7 fills from a 100 ci tank on my stock TalonP?

(100 cubic inches) / (213 cubic centimeters) =

ReplyQuote
eeler1
( @eeler1 )
Member of Trade
2020-02-08 00:15:50  

Well, how many $$ are we talking about.  Shoebox and Bauer are not similar products.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
( @gratewhitehuntr )
2020-02-09 09:09:10  

Op said "$$" and replies include "$$$$"

How does the $$$ selection look?

How did the nitrogen tank filling ever work out? Wasn't that you Terry?

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Billy Dick
( @billy-dick )
2020-02-13 09:40:12  

I have a Shoebox and after two years of light use needs an overhaul, they had a price drop due to a lot of new competition.   I think I paid $1050 and now they are at about $450, seems like a bargain.  Well for $300 you can get a Yong Heng that is water cooled and pumps much faster and plugs into the wall.  I bought one and it works great and has great reviews.   You can buy eight of these for the price of one of the classic "BIG" units.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
JFS737
( @jfs737 )
2020-02-13 20:21:38  

Just saw at Shot Show an Umarex unit 4500 psi self contained.  It isn't out yet, but I assume soon.  They said around or less than $500.  Having them around for warranty/repair may be a nice plus.  

Regards,

John

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
therealld
( @therealld )
2020-02-14 19:58:23  
Posted by: @luckystrike

Hey guys and gals,

Go ahead and call me lazy.  I am tired of pumping up my TalonP.

Does anyone have any great recommendations on compressors that can be plugged into the wall?  I am looking for longevity out of this compressor.  Something that is going to last!

Thanks!

Charlie

I'm on my fourth compressor.  The latest one is one I like best!  I have the "Supercharger" from AOA, and it has several features I loveL

It runs on 110V,  is VERY quiet, has an hour meter, is water-cooled, has easy to set pressure shutoff, an automatic self-bleed with timers for duration and frequency of bleed cycle, and can be lubed in seconds by the operator very easily.

The unit is SO quiet I can (and do) operate it in my den, which allows cleaner air and, when its hot out, cooler air that has less moisture due to our AC.  I can watch TV in the ext room (common wall) and its hard to tell if its going.

LD

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
( @scratchit )
2020-02-14 20:24:38  

Hi LD, mine’s diesel powered, little 4-5 hp single lug.  Only run it about ten minutes or so at a time.

makes lots of noise

ReplyQuote