Beeman Crow Magnum ...

Notifications
Clear all

Beeman Crow Magnum vs. Theoben Eliminator Power Specs  

RSS

sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
2020-05-18 13:38:26  

For many years I thought the Crow Magnum was just an Eliminator with a different stock.  After looking through the Blue Book 12th edition I see some discrepancies:

1.  Crow Magnum velocities are higher compared to the eliminator.

2.  Theoben Eliminator section says the eliminator model incorporated an improved barrel design featuring pronounced rifling for higher velocity pellets.

** Sold all my crow magnums, so I cannot make a visual comparison now**

Claim #2 doesn't make sense to me since the Crow magnum is more powerful on paper. 

Eliminator specs - from blue book 12th edition:

.177 1100 fps, .22 900 fps

Crow Magnum specs:

.20 1060 fps, .22 1035 fps, .25 815 fps.

Another question is the type of pellets used go generate these numbers.  According to Beeman's literature, they were using Beeman Laser pellets to establish power specs for their guns.

If that is the case, how do we know what is a safe power range when these guns need to be rebuilt?

Example:  Eliminator

.22 (13.36) laser pellet fired at 900 fps:  24.04 ft. lbs.

.22 (21.14) kodiak pellet fired at 900 fps: 38.03 ft. lbs.

I recently replaced the Schrader valve in a Beeman RX-1.   Average chrony fps is 1007 with Kodiak match pellet:  23.99 ft. lbs.  Gun is incredibly accurate at this pressure.

RX-1 specs according to Blue book:

.177 1125

.177 (7.1gr) Beeman laser at 1125 is 19.96 ft. lbs.

.177 (10.65) Beeman Kodiak at 1125 is 29.94 ft. lbs.

So if we stay within the minimum and maximum specs (and the gun is accurate) we won't burn out seals or over stress parts?

Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
2020-05-18 14:34:57  

Sonny I suspect that CM specs were based on Doc Beeman wanting to sell the fast gun in town. I was told at the Theoben factory that other than the markings and the stock the guns were identical. This was later confirmed to me by Don Walker (service foreman at Beeman) and Dave Slade.

Based on that, I have always used Theoben's specs and have never had an issue on several RX's, CM's and Eliminator's.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-05-18 18:06:07  

This should paint a closer picture; I believe Kevin & Craig used a pair of Ohlers:

https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtakeeliminator.html

I'd like to have another Eliminator but it might be a tough call between that and the current Weihrauch HW90. I can't help but think they have got it right as far as power from the powerplant. It has been in production for an awfully looong time. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the RX2 the same as the HW90? It looks pretty good in .22 for ME. Looks to be a pretty flat shooter in .177.

https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtakerx2.html

What's the differences between the RX1 and RX2?

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
2020-05-18 18:37:29  
Posted by: @straitflite

This should paint a closer picture; I believe Kevin & Craig used a pair of Ohlers:

https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtakeeliminator.html

I'd like to have another Eliminator but it might be a tough call between that and the current Weihrauch HW90. I can't help but think they have got it right as far as power from the powerplant. It has been in production for an awfully looong time. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the RX2 the same as the HW90? It looks pretty good in .22 for ME. Looks to be a pretty flat shooter in .177.

https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtakerx2.html

What's the differences between the RX1 and RX2?

I found that SS RX gun was weak in .20 versus Theobens specs. The RX and the HW 90 is the same gun, but back in the Beeman days was not supposed to be imported to the US. Beeman put a premium on his guns and didn't want the same gun sold cheaper. The only difference that I'm aware of is the RX2 came with the laminated (very heavy) stock that some people found easier to shoot.

ReplyQuote
Jim in Mich
(@jim-in-mich)
2020-05-20 05:28:37  

I've played around with power settings on my .22 Eliminator and with its favorite pellet 15.89 JSBs it likes 810fps which is 23 fpe...gun is pretty docile and dead nuts accurate at that setting! The trigger on this gun is also the best I've ever had on any Theoben...

Jim in Mich 

ReplyQuote
Beeman22
(@beeman22)
2020-05-20 13:48:52  

In addition to Doc Beeman's marketing strategy, the numbers may also not be apples-to-apples because I think there were actually 4 different variants of the CM/Eliminator. As I recall, the seal design and some other internal changes took place with each new version. I also think that the power potential was reduced in the 3rd and fourth variants, at least that's my recollection. I'll need to dig out my old beeman catalogs later today and look. 

ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
2020-05-20 14:18:25  
Posted by: @beeman22

In addition to Doc Beeman's marketing strategy, the numbers may also not be apples-to-apples because I think there were actually 4 different variants of the CM/Eliminator. As I recall, the seal design and some other internal changes took place with each new version. I also think that the power potential was reduced in the 3rd and fourth variants, at least that's my recollection. I'll need to dig out my old beeman catalogs later today and look. 

I think you are correct. There was over pressuring issues created by owners that caused the seals to burn in some of the early modes. I recently learned that they also changed the ram retention to the tube from a cross pin to a snap ring in the last versions.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
2020-05-20 20:42:19  

I seem to recall that the Dampa mount may have been responsible for, or part of one of the revisions.

ReplyQuote
Cruisers
(@cruisers)
2020-05-23 21:09:20  

Sonny when you replaced the Schrader valve on the RX what pressure did you wind up leaving it? Also, from many sources I learned that Beeman arrived at their magazine velocity figures using the Beeman Silver Bear. I remember using them and the figures I got were very close to the mag figures.

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
2020-05-24 00:43:42  

I left it at 1000fps using a Kodiak Match pellet.  Tried it on a few critters to confirm potency and accuracy.  Cocking and recoil is now significant for this RX.  I'm used to these heavy hitters so it doesn't bother me one bit. 

I remember reading somewhere the silver bear was standard too, but I looked at the 20th anniversary airgun guide and it said the laser was the baseline - so I stuck with that.

ReplyQuote
Cruisers
(@cruisers)
2020-05-25 10:18:48  

Sonny, I know your speed would depend a lot on the pellet used. What I was asking was the final Pressure you left it charged to.

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
(@sonnysan)
2020-05-25 17:07:55  

I have the pressure gauge but I suspect something like that will alter the pressure when unscrewing it.  So I'm working with general velocity and pellet weight guidelines from the net, blue book, and beeman literature.  My goal is as much power as accurately possible before I get too old to cock these guns.  I've read 23 or 24 bar max for the rx series.  I wonder what David slade's process is.  Does he just use the gauge and not shoot the gun, or does he shoot the gun until it reaches a velocity sweet spot based on experience?        

ReplyQuote
Talldog
(@talldog)
2020-05-27 19:44:27  
Posted by: @sonnysan

For many years I thought the Crow Magnum was just an Eliminator with a different stock.  After looking through the Blue Book 12th edition I see some discrepancies:

1.  Crow Magnum velocities are higher compared to the eliminator.

2.  Theoben Eliminator section says the eliminator model incorporated an improved barrel design featuring pronounced rifling for higher velocity pellets.

** Sold all my crow magnums, so I cannot make a visual comparison now**

Claim #2 doesn't make sense to me since the Crow magnum is more powerful on paper. 

Eliminator specs - from blue book 12th edition:

.177 1100 fps, .22 900 fps

Crow Magnum specs:

.20 1060 fps, .22 1035 fps, .25 815 fps.

Another question is the type of pellets used go generate these numbers.  According to Beeman's literature, they were using Beeman Laser pellets to establish power specs for their guns.

If that is the case, how do we know what is a safe power range when these guns need to be rebuilt?

Example:  Eliminator

.22 (13.36) laser pellet fired at 900 fps:  24.04 ft. lbs.

.22 (21.14) kodiak pellet fired at 900 fps: 38.03 ft. lbs.

I recently replaced the Schrader valve in a Beeman RX-1.   Average chrony fps is 1007 with Kodiak match pellet:  23.99 ft. lbs.  Gun is incredibly accurate at this pressure.

RX-1 specs according to Blue book:

.177 1125

.177 (7.1gr) Beeman laser at 1125 is 19.96 ft. lbs.

.177 (10.65) Beeman Kodiak at 1125 is 29.94 ft. lbs.

So if we stay within the minimum and maximum specs (and the gun is accurate) we won't burn out seals or over stress parts?

Personally .. I would sell them all. Nice collector items I would imagine ( for someone ) …  but notoriously crummy from a functional point of view .. on many fronts.

ReplyQuote