Barrel cleaning pat...

Notifications
Clear all

Barrel cleaning patches  

RSS

EricinMaine
(@ericinmaine)
January 12, 2020 13:24:08  

What shape,and size ,cleaning patches do I need to make for each of the barrel sizes starting with .177 cal.?

EricinMaine-

Topic Tags
DonC
 DonC
(@donc)
January 12, 2020 18:20:03  

I have Rod and Pull Thru. The rod is sold by Dewey Teflon coated sharp point jag patch size for .177 is 3/4" X 3/4". Works perfect.

Pull Thru is 2 3/4" square. I just buy 16/12 gauge cleaning patches for .177. Resistance to pulling is signifigant compared to Dewey Rod. Both get the job done. Simple Green helps too.

ReplyQuote
Roadworthy
(@roadworthy)
January 13, 2020 14:31:37  

The shape and size of your cleaning patches will probably be dictated to a large extent by the equipment used to clean the gun.  I use a cable specific to the job.  It's put out by Otis.  I can use patches I cut down or I can use the patches they sell.  The Otis patches can be configured for various calibers depending upon how they are installed onto the cable.

ReplyQuote
airmojo
(@airmojo)
January 13, 2020 15:28:10  

I use a "Crown Saver" for cleaning my airgun barrels, and round cotton patches that are 1 3/4 inches in diameter (labeled for .270-.35 caliber).

Here's some photos...

Crown Saver Barrel Cleaner 1
Crown Saver Barrel Cleaner 2
Crown Saver Barrel Cleaning Patches

ReplyQuote
JiminPGH
(@jiminpgh)
January 13, 2020 15:55:07  

FWIW, standard Qtips are "just right" for .177 barrels.  I use a 1/8" brass rod from Home Depot to push them thru.  You can wet them with Goo-gone, or just push them thru dry.

ReplyQuote
caninesinaction
(@caninesinaction)
January 13, 2020 15:59:47  

Take a look at the patchworm cleaning kit. PA has them for sale. There is an excellent video on barrel cleaning on the AEAC home channel (blog). Steve Schieli does an excellent job showing and explaining the process and the product. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
EricinMaine
(@ericinmaine)
January 13, 2020 19:37:16  

Wow,I guess the patches are a lot smaller than I expected.I havn't been an advocate for barrel cleaning.I 've felt that soft lead pellets would do the trick by the time 100 ,or so ,had passed through for the initial break -in of a gun.But accuracy isn't that great with most of my guns and sooner or later cleaning is a good idea.Thankx to all for your input.

EricinMaine-

ReplyQuote