How old are you?

How long have you been shooting?

320ccb4cd33510c69648f300d1decdb8

I'm 58 been shooting since 5 or 6

scratchit thanked
DavidEnoch
(@davidenoch)
January 24, 2020 11:30:46  

I am 60.  I got my first rimfire when I was about 10 but didn't get an airgun until I was about 35.

David Enoch

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Bill Day
(@bill-day)
January 24, 2020 13:26:41  

I am 73 and my dad taught me to shoot a bolt action .22 at 8 years old.  Played around with daisy airguns while a kid. At 59 I purchased what I thought was a  real airgun in .177 which was a semi auto that used CO2.  Attended my first FT event in May of 2006 with a FX Cyclone. Been hooked ever since. 

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)
January 24, 2020 16:28:29  
Posted by: @septicdeath

Any chance you played the little boy named 'Leon' on the Andy Griffith Show?

You know, always dressed as a cowboy and trying to share 1/2 a PB&J with Barney?

https://www.weaversdepartmentstore.com/newsletter/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LeonSandwich.jpg

ReplyQuote
Septicdeath
(@septicdeath)
January 24, 2020 16:33:35  
Posted by: @gratewhitehuntr
Posted by: @septicdeath

Any chance you played the little boy named 'Leon' on the Andy Griffith Show?

You know, always dressed as a cowboy and trying to share 1/2 a PB&J with Barney?

https://www.weaversdepartmentstore.com/newsletter/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/LeonSandwich.jpg

No sir but never missed a episode growing up.

ReplyQuote
straitflite
(@straitflite)
January 24, 2020 16:46:06  

Dad taught me to squirrel and rabbit hunt when I was five. He came from a litter of 13 and with his father's passing while he was only 13, hunting was a necessity as much of a sport. He gave me a 410 single shot at 5 and even refinished the stock for me. I watched as he burned my initials into the stock with coat hangar pieces that he bent then heated from the stove burner. That gun was stolen a few years later..robbed while on vacation! Ate plenty of rabbit and squirrel growing up. We'd lay out garbage bags on the floor and watch TV (all 3 channels!) while cleaning the days harvest. Those of you that have hunted with shotguns know that the sound of 'P'TING' was a natural part of dinner table conversation.

Got a Red Ryder at age 6. What fun that was! Some of my older toys got the short end of the stick on that one!

Oh, and I'm 55 no, wait... 55. (had that backwards 😉 )

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
JFS
 JFS
(@jfs)
January 24, 2020 17:15:31  

53.   Got my first BB gun when I was about 12 or so...  Took some time off after it broke and started shooting again about 17 years ago.   So many great airguns nowadays, we are really spoiled, and I'm loving it.

John

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Bill S.
(@tripleguy)
January 24, 2020 17:24:51  
Posted by: @rikkochet

I'm 80, and started shooting when I was 7. Can't do so much these days as there are only two places I can shoot within ten miles of home and I don't drive.  

Where do you live?? Maybe another airgunner lives nearby and could give you a lift.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
DanWesson
(@danwesson)
January 24, 2020 19:47:52  

53. Got my first BB gun as a Christmas present in 1976 when I was 10 years old. I believe it was a Daisy model 96. A year or two later I saved up enough allowance money and purchased a Daisy 880 which I still have in my collection. I sold that old Daisy lever action at a yard sale for $10 when I was in high school. I'm still kicking myself for letting that girl go...

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Limbshaker
(@limbshaker)
January 24, 2020 20:09:26  

I'm 32.

Got a Red Ryder when I was 5, graduated to a Daisy 880 when I was 7. Bought a new Daisy 880 with my birthday money every year until I was about 12, as I usually about wore one out every year or so chasing squirrels and rabbits everyday. Finally got ahold of a Benjamin 392 and hunted with it for quite a while. Finally picked up a couple Weihrauch springers and have been at it ever since. 

I killed a pile of rabbits and squirrels with those old 880s at a measly 7fpe on a good day. I've decided that a .177 springer running 7-13fpe is all a small game hunter would ever need, so that's what I shoot most these days. I have some PCPs but rarely hunt with them anymore. 

Don't visit the forums much anymore since it's all about extreme FPE and slug guns these days. The airgunning that I enjoy has apparently died and is fading away, but I still roam the woods with my airguns like I have since I was a little fella. I just hope I'm able to keep it up as long as you old coots have! 

Have fun guys! 

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
daveshoot
(@daveshoot)
January 24, 2020 21:38:00  

Tied with Driskill at 65, shooting since birth, as far as I know. Also started with Daisy 25, but ramped up to the Daisy 94 (best Christmas of my life I think) around 9, then the Sheridan, and the rest is all over the house and various safes.

Loved powder and hunting too, most of my life, but it's been all air the last 15 years or so.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
xXx
 xXx
(@xxx)
January 25, 2020 11:53:50  

61, shooting since 12 with a break from 20's through 50's. Had an iron sighted Benjamin that always amazed my Daisy and Crosman friends.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
hkshooter
(@hkshooter)
January 25, 2020 19:30:55  

50. First airgun was a Daisy 880 in 1983. Cousin got an 881 the same year. I started drooling over Beeman catalogs soon after that and fell in love with the FWB124D. Still haven't owned one.

My cousin got a Diana 34 a couple years later, the first of us to score an "adult" air rifle. I got a .22. 

At 20 I finally got my first R1, my cousin topped it with an RX-1 which was damaged in shipping at one point and replaced with an RX-2 by Beeman. I think he still has it.

Firearms has long since became my primary hobby but I'll never lose my love for air guns. Own a couple today, working on a possible third. All springers. PCP got no soul.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
CarlosMendez
(@carlos-hombre)
January 26, 2020 12:47:46  

69 started at 7 years old.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Lawrence
(@lawrence)
January 26, 2020 13:00:15  

First air gun when I was 9 years old, Daisy 25 pump BB gun.  Bad move...brother and I used mom's canning jars as targets...did not bode well for us.  LOL

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
bf1956
(@bf1956)
January 26, 2020 14:16:36  

@lawrence   Hey for me it was light bulbs and windows early 60s and made for a long day in solitary confinement.

scratchit and Lawrence thanked
ReplyQuote
MDriskill
(@mdriskill)
January 26, 2020 14:22:26  
Posted by: @limbshaker

I'm 32.

I killed a pile of rabbits and squirrels with those old 880s at a measly 7fpe on a good day. I've decided that a .177 springer running 7-13fpe is all a small game hunter would ever need, so that's what I shoot most these days. I have some PCPs but rarely hunt with them anymore. 

Don't visit the forums much anymore since it's all about extreme FPE and slug guns these days. The airgunning that I enjoy has apparently died and is fading away, but I still roam the woods with my airguns like I have since I was a little fella. I just hope I'm able to keep it up as long as you old coots have! 

Have fun guys! 

Nah, it hasn’t died...you’re just hanging out with the wrong age group! Your fellow whippersnappers lean toward the big-boom stuff, so just find some local old guys like me who still love their vintage springers and pump-ups!

scratchit, Limbshaker, hkshooter and 1 people thanked
ReplyQuote
Bill S.
(@tripleguy)
January 26, 2020 16:00:13  

Lots came up the Daisy 880 route. I had a Red Ryder followed by a Crosman 400. That gun taught me CO2 was usless in cold weather. A Daisy 880 followed which didn't like to be charged for hours while hunting/stalking. A Benjamin 347 took me through my teens fetching tons of small game which my family ate. Hiatus from my 20s through my 30s and picked up the Benjamin until I was 45 or so. Then on to mostly springers, MSPs and a couple PCPs which I don't shoot much. Still mainly a springer pumper guy - my roots. If I need more power or distance, powder.

scratchit and hkshooter thanked
ReplyQuote
truck-driver
(@truck-driver)
January 27, 2020 11:08:03  
Posted by: @shooter-ii

59, got a Daisy 102 Cub for my 9th birthday (still have it!).

Not to one up you but I bought my Daisy 102 Cub when I was 6 and still have it and shoot it on occasions. Oh and I'm older then 70 😉 just won't say how much.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
crazyhorse
(@crazyhorse)
January 27, 2020 11:24:21  

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
dbowling
(@dean)
January 27, 2020 21:00:22  

Be 59 in june, started when I was 8 or 9 with Daisy Red Rider then went to a Benjamin 397, wore it out 2 times and sent back to factory to be rebuilt both times..then took a break for a few years after school got married/divorced then started back in shooting field target with a springer, after then I cant even tell you how many airguns I have owned but a bunch, have 12 or 13 now.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Jshooter71
(@jshooter71)
January 30, 2020 06:46:48  

48... 49 in April.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Jim Bentley
(@jim-bentley)
January 31, 2020 18:43:09  

64 and shooting airguns since I was 12.

Adult airgns for the last 30 years or so.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
scratchit
(@scratchit)
January 31, 2020 21:51:33  

I’ll be 65 in about a week. Granny had a BB gun when I was little and I got to shoot granny’s BB gun when we got to see her.  I miss granny.

In about 75-76, I found myself in Germany on an extended TDY mission.    I was a member of one of 4 or 5, 4 or 5 man teams. Near the end of the mission, a meeting was scheduled with my team, to be held in German bowling alley, to go over the ATF Form 6.  Back then one could buy PB’s through AAFES at about 40-60% less than retail back stateside, but they had to be imported back into the states. I bought a Carl Gustav.  Other team buddy bought a Sako.  Germans bowled duck pins.

As we sat down at a table perpendicular to the foul line and about 20’ away, I look up and see this guy in FULL CREEDMORE (!), boots, pants, jacket, gloves, and glasses w/blinder, sighting down the lane where the pins otherwise would have been. I look on down the foul line and there was at least a dozen, perhaps as many as 20 lanes with shooters at the foul line.  I spied another fellow in lederhosen, hiking boots, and Robin Hood hat, complete w/feather. I was awestruck and all but speechless. They were having one helluva time, drinking beer, cutting up and shooting (albeit BB guns) in of all places, a freaking bowling alley.

I think the senior NCO that scheduled the meeting and was handling the importation probably knew this in advance.  After making light of the Germans and their BB guns, we went over the importance of NOT screwing up the Form 6, finished our beers and wurst, and back to the war we went.

Bought my first BB gun in late ‘79, a C-series silver streak.  In about ‘82 I traded a perfectly good handgun for a new Tempest in .22, a FWB 127D, and  a tin or two of pellets. Had no idea what I was buying/trading for and don’t recall what the sticker prices were. Probably the best trade I ever made.  It’s been downhill from there  

bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
daveshoot
(@daveshoot)
January 31, 2020 22:32:39  

@scratchit

TDY (temporary duty), that was pooping in tall cotton back in the day, extra pay and rats. Haven't heard that phrase in a long time.

I was in Frankfurt (3AD) in 1977-80, and Maier Gustl's (tourista trinkhalle in downtown Frankfurt K-street area) had a bb gun range down in the basement. They had elaborate animated moving targets. I wish I could remember what hardware we were shooting, but it was before my real airgun awakening.

Anyway, I still have a rather stupid bier stein I won, shooting against the local denizens. My girl was impressed; we were the only Amerikaners down there and I had a blast with the locals. Very fun times.  

scratchit and bf1956 thanked
ReplyQuote
Airgun-Channel
(@air-gun-channel)
February 1, 2020 09:33:06  

I think alot of the PCP shooters are between 40-60 because they can afford an expensive hobby , and once the kids are out of the house or they are retired, they actually have time to shoot!  

....just checked my Youtube Analytics.

Here are the ages of people who watch my Youtube Airgun Channel:

hater

6% are female and only 43% of my views are from the USA!

heter
ff

...interesting.

(129k views in last 30 days) ...if your wondering. 

ReplyQuote
scratchit
(@scratchit)
February 3, 2020 22:05:58  

Hi gNat,  how old are ya (this bein’ the old age thread)?

Lies, damn lies and statistics!  Good numbers though and I would have fallen within the mean and std. dev. 25 years ago. Now but hardly an insignificant blip.

I give you extra credit though for noting that ol’ fo’k might have disposable income and lots of time, that is, when not napping.  I’ve ciphered up and finger I’ve dropped about $3k (er., make that about 3.5+) over the past 3 years.  Tryin’ to do my part.....

Noted where the PayPal thread has been resurrected, but couldn’t make sense of any resolution though, may as well pucker up and pray.  I think what perhaps drew my ire was that you missed my point.  Point being not so much that there was an “arbitration” clause, but that you had apparently failed to note it.

Any time you take note of the highlighted “I ACCEPT” box, pause and take heed, for demons lurk within..

Live long and prosper......

if you’d like another perspective (bwahhaahaaa), open a new thread off the beaten path.

ReplyQuote
JohnL
(@johnl)
February 5, 2020 13:23:23  

62, started shooting with a Daisy bb gun at 12 or 13. Have a soft spot for HW springers and nice wood stocks. Living the dream on family property with hunting and pesting available and needed on an almost daily basis 😆 

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Mikescouter
(@mikescouter)
February 5, 2020 14:02:38  

I'm 57. I started shooting in the early ’70s with a Daisy Red Ryder, then a Crosman 1400. I got back into shooting in my 30’s when my kids were old enough to shoot. Several years ago I dug out the air rifles from the back of the safe, cleaned up the 50 yard home range, and have been shooting ever since. I have a couple of Red Ryders patiently waiting for my grandkids to be old enough. Maybe next year.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
dcw
 dcw
(@dcw)
February 5, 2020 18:07:49  

77+

got first "Real" air rifles 1989-1990...still have them and have added some since... 😉 😊

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
ScottMn
(@scottmn)
February 5, 2020 19:46:28  

15 birthdays old......but I was born on the 29th of Feb. I've been shooting since I was 2 birthdays old and have enjoyed every minute of it.

scratchit thanked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3