Notifications

Air Venturi Rats  

RSS

Prairie Farmer
( @prairie-farmer )
2020-01-28 19:16:55  

Well, I went out on a limb and ordered a couple of target rats from Air Venturi.  This is more geared towards the lower power crowd.  I have a bunch of targets from Steelplinkers, which apparently is not longer open.  For my FWB 300s, I liked to shoot a Remington crow, which was lighter weight in build, but my FWB 300s would reset it out to 50 yds.  It managed to take a rimfire hit, and gave up the ghost.

I ordered these to replace it, and should work perfect.  The paddles are slightly thicker than the Remington, the faceplate and stake seem much thicker.  Faceplate measured 0.150" thick.

Here are some pictures for those interested.  They are currently $20 each.

Prairie Farmer

airmojo and pluric thanked
rich177
( @rich177 )
2020-01-29 10:03:59  

We have the actual field target version of that target and use in in our matches.  it seems to be a little more heavy duty than the Gamos and has held up well thus far.

Rick B.

ReplyQuote
MarineO6
( @marineo6 )
2020-01-29 15:13:54  

I’ve got five 2-target lanes set up in the forested area of my property and they’re all Rats on the Run.

They’ve lasted through 2 major hurricanes (one of which flooded our house and knocked a lot of trees down but none of the Rats were affected) and a lot of wind and rain, I live on a coastal river in NC.

Suggest you ditch the white reset cord which will last a few months then fall apart and use paracord. Will last a lot longer and if you get the right color it will disappear instead of having a bunch of white lines crisscrossing your property.

ReplyQuote
Hooligan
( @hooligan )
2020-01-29 15:20:39  

Farmer, 

Look good for the price, but would like to know how well they hold up and at what intended use. Can I expect these Gamo targets to hold up to 25 - 30 fpe (pcp use) or more along the lines of Springer rated airguns?

I remember Ben from Steelplinkers and his targets. For the money his targets were fairly heavy duty but no longer has a working web site. 

Do let us know how those targets hold up in time.

////////////////////////////////////

Rick, 

Would like to hear what brand of resettable targets you use in your matches.

Thanks guys

ReplyQuote
doninva
( @doninva )
2020-01-29 18:23:08  

I quit using those targets. Was getting some nasty ricochetes. I use the field target ones on my range. You can only shoot 12 or 20 ft lbs in field target. The kite string works and hold up great. I have a 33 target range and leave them out year round. Don

ReplyQuote
Prairie Farmer
( @prairie-farmer )
2020-01-29 21:32:42  

I have never had bounce backs on any of my reset targets, but I am shooting springers 15 fpe and less.  And they are 30-50 yds.  I have had a bounceback from shooting my Ar500 gong once, it went straight behind me.  And believe it or not, muffed a shot on a starling about 40 yds up on a hard dead locust branch.  And the pellet come singing straight back and was close.  Not into the puffers but I am sure these won't last with them, unless it is a 10m puffer.

Prairie Farmer 

ReplyQuote
rich177
( @rich177 )
2020-01-30 09:59:54  

Hooligan,

You asked what kind of targets we use in our matches(at FTRPA).  I have been doing this for 30 years so the targets are many and varied.  We started with 6 Nok Down Targets and the inventory has grown and continues to grown.  We have and use the following, some of which are no longer available.

L&K Vision, Stoutenberg, Ron Juneau(Cajun), Nok Down, Nock Over, Otten(After Hours), Kirkendoll, Crosman, Gamo, Air Venturi, Paul Porch, and Jim-Bob and I may have forgotten one other. 

The Nok Downs and Ron Juneau targets are what some people call "gravity" targets but they work very well if set properly and most of them are 25-30 years old!  The newer Gamos after 6 or so years of use show signs of wear and the paddles are failing.  Calvin Byers at Quality Targets made me some replacement paddles and I am trying some of them this year.  He also makes some very nice faceplates for the Gamos which ad some variety to the inventory.  We currently  use more Gamos than any other kind simply because they are inexpensive and work well.  Our targets are well cared for and not left out.  They are painted and serviced after every match.  They are a combination of personal and club owned Targets.

To me, part of the fun of field target is using all the different targets.

Rick B.,  FTRPA

ReplyQuote
Hooligan
( @hooligan )
2020-01-30 14:01:51  

Rick, thanks for the response. I will be researching for future targets. I do like being an enabler when the opportunity arises, as I do put on an occassional shooting event for friends and family and would like to add a few more targets.

Closest field target shooting for me is 1.5 hours away from but no doubt would be worth the trip in the near future. More to think about.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
pluric
( @pluric )
2020-01-30 14:29:40  

The problem I've had with the "Stick in the ground" setups is support. The ground is either too hard or too soft and they fall over.

Making a simple base has solved that for me. Even some large dimensional lumber with tight hole drilled can help.

Target stand

ReplyQuote
rich177
( @rich177 )
2020-02-01 10:42:09  

We use those stick in the ground targets on our practice range and do leave them out most of the time.  I have mounted them in tree trunk cut offs by simply drilling a hole in the wood and sticking the spike in.  Eventually the wood rots and needs to be replaced.

Rick

ReplyQuote