Air Venturi Avenger

Notifications
Clear all

Air Venturi Avenger

WJB56
(@wjb56)
Topic starter  

Any thoughts on this gun for an entry-level PCP?  I need it for hunting and target.

Topic Tags
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)

tl;dr :: buy it; you will love it.  My gun club members are shooting high end FX machines and that ilk, and almost all of them own an Avenger.

In an act of patriotically stimulating the economy, I used my Covid money to buy one.  It is perfect as the entry level into PCP and you can read my review on Pyramyd.  You will also want the DonnyFL adapter ($45) and a moderator ($???) as the machine has a decided crack upon discharge and is rather loud.  I had a damaged moderator and a friend lathed me a new threaded mounting piece - good to go!  0dB makes good ones but they ain't exactly cheap.  It is also front heavy, so for it's debut at the range I used my Caldwell bag.  I later got a Chinese Atlas knock-off bipod off Amazon for $35.  It required some fixes on the workbench before usage but I simply can't afford a $240 Atlas. 

Air?  My club offers free air ... for tanks.  The club consensus is: never buy an expensive hand pump.  So I bought a $35 Hiram (Chinese) 4500 lbs hand pump off Amazon - it has the proper connector for the Avenger.  It's a damn workout!  So, I embraced that, and do 5 mins on the exercise bike and pump for 5 mins - repeat to 4K lbs.  Your triceps will get a major workout so use full body weight.

The machine?  It is monstrously accurate.  I synced a dot sight with a laser bore sighter to 10m at home.  At the range, I had it zeroed at 25 yards in 10 shots.  I use the AEAC ECO Tune (1.5 turns of hammer spring and 1400lbs on regulator) - Google for the Avenger set up video.  It purrs like a fluffy kitten. 

WJB56 thanked
ReplyQuote
WJB56
(@wjb56)
Topic starter  

@droidiphile Great info!  I am planning on a .22 cal for some hunting and mostly Target.  Have you ever had any issues with pellets jamming with the mag?

ReplyQuote
Droidiphile
(@droidiphile)

Posted by: @wjb56

@droidiphile Great info!  I am planning on a .22 cal for some hunting and mostly Target.  Have you ever had any issues with pellets jamming with the mag?

I have the .22.  And yah I had a jam, but it was my own lack of skill.  <felt like a real dork> I didn't have a feel for inserting pellets into the breech.  It felt like it failed but I actually fed in 2 and it jammed.  Royal PITA to get the jammed mag out ...  Back at home, I tested it out and practiced using mags on my work bench.  I also recommend using the single shot tray to get a really good feel for the bolt's action before you use the magazines.

If we are talking magazines: you can also find Umarex Gauntlet magazines on Amazon for much cheaper than official Air Venturi Avenger mags ... and they are exactly the same except for silk screening.  I bought 5 and they are working flawlessly.  You'll find my reviews all over Amazon for all this stuff and some on Pyramyd.  I don't know if commercial links are allowed here so I'll refrain for now.

WJB56 thanked
ReplyQuote
WJB56
(@wjb56)
Topic starter  

@droidiphile I appreciate your info.

ReplyQuote