22 Caliber Airgun S...

Notifications

22 Caliber Airgun Slug SHOOTOUT! (JSB K-O slugs FIRST LOOK!)  

RSS

Baker Airguns Donnie
( @baker-airguns-donnie )
Member of Trade
2020-02-11 15:08:17  

.22 Caliber Airgun Slug SHOOTOFF! Including the NEW JSB Knock-Out slugs! Get your first look at the awesome new offering from JSB here, and see how it stacks up to proven contenders such as the FX Hybrid Slugs, H&N Slug HP, and Nielsen Specialty Ammo slugs! The first link is to the written report. The second is a link to a full length review video. I suggest taking them both in for the full story. All comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Click HERE for the written report...

pluric and ekmeister thanked
ekmeister
( @ekmeister )
Member of Trade
2020-02-11 17:09:19  

@baker-airguns-donnie

Hey Donnie, thanks for the nice review and report! I know the PCP guys are going to benefit from it. And, it may be even better than that for us springer guys.

My specialty is springers. So, I want to make a statement here, because of a post I previously made, stating that SOME slugs intended for use in PCP's are too heavy for use in springers. That's true at times. But, that shouldn't be the case here.

Yes, some of the extra-heavy PCP-specific slugs could can cause various problems in a springer. However, I see that the weight of the 4 slugs in your report isn't much more than the 21.1 gr. weight of the .22 caliber Baracuda pellets that regularly get used in springers. Some other AG pellets weigh even more than the Baracuda.

So, as far as avoiding any problems that could be related to weight, and wanting to try some slugs, these four might be a good place for springer shooters to start.

Now, as far as any detrimental effects related to extra drag issues that might be caused by using slugs in a springer barrel, that would need to be evaluated on a gun-by-gun basis. I say that because the slugs have straight sides, as opposed to having the Diablo or hourglass shape that most airgun pellets have. That shape allows for more compression of the lead where the edges of the pellet touch the rifling, and thus less friction.

But, even there, it might not be much of a problem. I can see concave ends on a couple of the slugs. And, those should be fairly compressible, too.

So, again, one or more of these 4 slugs might provide good dual-use applications in both springers and PCP's. I hope the springer shooters here see your post, if they've been wanting to try slugs.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
caninesinaction
( @caninesinaction )
2020-02-11 17:34:58  

Donnie: Very well done. Thank You. Would luv to see the same review using a condor. Guess I'll just have to get one and do myself 😀 

ReplyQuote
thirdshift
( @thirdshift )
2020-02-11 22:05:51  

I enjoyed the video very much, Donnie.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Baker Airguns Donnie
Member of Trade
2020-02-12 08:24:30  
Posted by: @ekmeister

@baker-airguns-donnie

Hey Donnie, thanks for the nice review and report! I know the PCP guys are going to benefit from it. And, it may be even better than that for us springer guys.

My specialty is springers. So, I want to make a statement here, because of a post I previously made, stating that SOME slugs intended for use in PCP's are too heavy for use in springers. That's true at times. But, that shouldn't be the case here.

Yes, some of the extra-heavy PCP-specific slugs could can cause various problems in a springer. However, I see that the weight of the 4 slugs in your report isn't much more than the 21.1 gr. weight of the .22 caliber Baracuda pellets that regularly get used in springers. Some other AG pellets weigh even more than the Baracuda.

So, as far as avoiding any problems that could be related to weight, and wanting to try some slugs, these four might be a good place for springer shooters to start.

Now, as far as any detrimental effects related to extra drag issues that might be caused by using slugs in a springer barrel, that would need to be evaluated on a gun-by-gun basis. I say that because the slugs have straight sides, as opposed to having the Diablo or hourglass shape that most airgun pellets have. That shape allows for more compression of the lead where the edges of the pellet touch the rifling, and thus less friction.

But, even there, it might not be much of a problem. I can see concave ends on a couple of the slugs. And, those should be fairly compressible, too.

So, again, one or more of these 4 slugs might provide good dual-use applications in both springers and PCP's. I hope the springer shooters here see your post, if they've been wanting to try slugs.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much!

It's truly my pleasure.

In the interest of brevity, I didn't try them in any springers.

I DID try them in far less powerful PCP guns, and they didn't do bad at all.

I certainly wouldn't shy away from trying them in a springer.

Like you said, they're not far away in weight from the H&N Baracuda.

I'd LOVE to hear what happens if you try.

-Donnie

ekmeister thanked
ReplyQuote
Baker Airguns Donnie
Member of Trade
2020-02-12 08:25:41  
Posted by: @caninesinaction

Donnie: Very well done. Thank You. Would luv to see the same review using a condor. Guess I'll just have to get one and do myself 😀 

Thank you very much!

I REALLY wanted to try them in a Condor, but didn't have one available.

Please let me know your results if you try!

-Donnie

ReplyQuote
Baker Airguns Donnie
Member of Trade
2020-02-12 08:26:07  
Posted by: @thirdshift

I enjoyed the video very much, Donnie.

Thank you.

Right on!

Thank you for watching!

-Donnie

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
( @sonnysan )
2020-02-12 18:34:39  

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but this is a great introduction to slug projectiles. 

It would be great to see the accuracy differences between slugs and pellets at 50, 75, and 100 yards.  Believe Utah airguns has a similar video, but not as comprehensive.

I'd love to know the FPE at those different distances (killing power), but a radar system such as labradar would need to be used.

A lower powered gun would be nice to see too, as you are using a 50fpe gun in the test.  I suspect slugs would not be very beneficial out to 100 yards with a 35 FPE gun such as a common AA S410.

NSA has introduced a 17.5 grain slug, similar to a JSB .22 pellet weight.  That would be an interesting test.

ReplyQuote
Baker Airguns Donnie
Member of Trade
2020-02-13 08:24:28  
Posted by: @sonnysan

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but this is a great introduction to slug projectiles. 

It would be great to see the accuracy differences between slugs and pellets at 50, 75, and 100 yards.  Believe Utah airguns has a similar video, but not as comprehensive.

I'd love to know the FPE at those different distances (killing power), but a radar system such as labradar would need to be used.

A lower powered gun would be nice to see too, as you are using a 50fpe gun in the test.  I suspect slugs would not be very beneficial out to 100 yards with a 35 FPE gun such as a common AA S410.

NSA has introduced a 17.5 grain slug, similar to a JSB .22 pellet weight.  That would be an interesting test.

Thank you very much!

I'm going to do a lot more with slugs in the future, and I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

You make some good points that I think a lot of people would like to see.

Travis Patten from Airgun Depot just released a really good video last night that addresses some of this with the H&N Slug HP.

Plus you get to see him nekkid.  LOLOLOL

Here's a link...

-Donnie

ReplyQuote
sonnysan
( @sonnysan )
2020-02-13 13:05:40  

Thank you Donnie.  At this point comparing slugs vs. pellets takes a lot of time, effort, and money. 

FX has posted twist rates, claiming slower twist rate barrels are meant for slugs.  I don't know what other manufacturer twist rates are, but I'd imagine their guns are made for pellets.  

From the latest video, there is still no pellet to slug comparison.  On top of that, 35 yards is not far.  The groups to me are unimpressive.  Increasing the distance will only make them worse.

The two criteria I'd be after would be energy retention at a given yardage (50 yard minimum), and of course accuracy.  50, 75, 100, and 125 yards would be nice.  I'd make a point to not use 2K+ FX 50+ FPE guns that dominate the airgun slug youtube videos.  Using guns from Daystate and AA under 40FPE would be a good start. 

I'm under that impression slugs don't offer a lot of benefits unless you are shooting 75 yards or more. 

Starting with .22 .217 and .218 21 gr. H&N HP slugs vs. .22 H&N Kodiaks pellets would be interesting comparison.  Another one would be .22 NSA 17.5 gr. slugs vs. .22 JSB 18.13 exacts.  To me, I would have to compare weight retention and accuracy of both projectiles over 75 yards to justify purchasing slugs.

ReplyQuote