Notifications
Clear all

Taking the old Crosman 150 (snake slayer) camping

teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

If not too close to other campers and noise is not an issue... I'll do a little plinking. Was going to take the silverstreak but, pellets ordered last month still have not arrived. Hopefully, I can post some pics next week when I go on my homeless vacation.

KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Homeless vacation? Are you camping out in a city park with hobos and bums?

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

DSCN0278

@kwk

Probably so... Car camping via motel Walmart... then into the mountains between Santa fe & Las Vegas NM. I'll take some pics.

ReplyQuote
Gratewhitehuntr
(@gratewhitehuntr)

Mmmm... smells like sink-bath!

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Does look like fun. I like to cook over coals in the camp fire. And like to rough it. I am so at home in the outdoors. But only for a few days. Years ago when I roadraced motorcycles I would camp out for the weekend at the track. Had some great times. Sometimes it hurt. Like the time I broke my shoulder blade in half and my left hand. Didn't sleep well that night. And the drive home the next day didn't tickle either.

In 1988 my wife and I joined 3 others with 7 horses and rode 90 miles through the Rocky Mountains from Aspen to Vail, CO. Took almost all week. Rugged trails. Roughed it every night. That was so much fun. A great memory we share.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@kwk

I use to go all out and be the camp cook... This trip, peel & eat. 

Which club did you race in? I was a starter for the CRRC a long time ago... in the days of Meril Moen and Doug Polen

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

AMA Championship Cup Series. I only had an amateur license. Raced a few seasons.  But I'd still rather be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime!

Polen at Texas World Speedway CRRC. That was before Polen was anybody. He was amazing to see on Yoshimura Suzukis and Fast by Ferracci Ducattis. I never saw him race any world championship events in person. Really nice guy. I met some of the nicest decent guys roadracing motorcycles. They do their talking with their performance on the track. Not with ignorant foul mouths and trash talking.

None of us could race without the safety crew and corner workers. We trusted them and our lives were in their hands. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@kwk

My one and only race was at TWS, a WERA 6 hour endurance race... Every time Bruce Hammer (sp?) passed me, I did my best to emulate him... I high sided in the 3rd hour.... that was it for me and the beginning of my work with the CRRC.

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@kwk

Polen and his tuner buddy were the founding father's of D&D exhuast. Both were great guys and fast. There was some awsome talent in that club. I met Hugh Humble too before a horrendous accident took him. His parents continued to work for the CRRC for years. 

What's the saying? "But I got to see all of the great bands", I guess that applies to many things.

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

I had D&D exhaust on my GSXR 750 racebike. They were a very good pipe. A lot of guys ran them.

When you camp, don't hide with your pistol. Introduce some folks to shooting! I have used my Crosman 150's for that purpose so many times I can't count. I have several and a few are a little worn. Those are what I take for tag along guns. Doesn't matter if folks have sweat or potato chip salt on their hands. If there's a kid at the camp or picnic they're gonna shoot it. Grownups too. But I focus more on youth or young adults. Sadly, so many don't even have a decent traditional family oriented man of good character in their lives. I always bring extra fishing gear too. 👍 I'd rather teach somebody else than do it myself. It's not always about me.

That's just how I roll. 😉 

Raise them up in the way you want them to go and they will not depart from it when they are old

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Your first race was a 6 hr? Wow. Jump in headfirst. WERA had a good program too. They honored AMA license but racing wasn't the only thing in life to me. But was about all I thought about at times. Besides women. 😉 Team Hammer ran GSXR 1100 or FZR 1000. Can't remember. I had and rode both on street and they were incredible machines. New bikes would blow me away but I don't care to ride anymore for many years. Since 1995? I got too crazy on them. Made my wife and extended family worry all the time. They knew how I rode. LOL you could hear me coming for miles. We didn't have children yet. One day I just said "enough".

ReplyQuote
blackswordshinobi
(@blackswordshinobi)

nice post did slay any snakes around the camp just a question iam asking

ReplyQuote
teleamp
(@teleamp)
Topic starter  

@blackswordshinobi

6 foot bull snake in the living toom last week. We have had rain daily for abour a month now and I guess it was looking for a dry spot Crosman 150 to the rescue it has become my snake gun and tree trimmer (it's accurate too). I'll be headed to the mountains in a few hours...

ReplyQuote
KWK
 KWK
(@kwk)

Genesis gave snakes a bad reputation but there's really no reason to kill nonvenomous snakes. They don't hurt anything. Kind of cool I think. I like seeing them. If I'm in remote locations I won't kill copperheads or rattlesnakes either. In fact rattlesnakes and copperheads are protected in PA in those locations.

We have a lot of  copperheads on our family farm. I grew up around them. You have to be keen about where you step. Or where you reach. A lot of rock outcropping on our land. You can't kill them all and they can live  15-30 years. Often they just lie still and you don't even know they're there. They're also mostly nocturnal.

ReplyQuote
top dog
(@top-dog)

KWK,

In a way I agree with you but a bite from a venomous snake can pretty well bankrupt you and possibly lead to loss of limb or life.

One man was bitten by a copperhead snake,that over night stay in the hospital was $200,000. Another was bitten by a water moccasin and that 6 night stay in the hospital was $300,000.

And don't count on the insurance picking up the full tab either.  The antivenom stuff goes from $20-30,000 a pop with usually several needed.

I don't go looking for them,but if they are in striking range,they get capped.

Top Dog

ReplyQuote