Notifications
Clear all

Pot Guts (ground squirrels) are out!

pluric
(@pluric)
Topic starter  

Normally depending on weather, they come out about the first part of April through July. I'd been out of town and the local weather has been record breaking warm so I ran up to my brothers horse property to see if there was any action. As soon as I pulled up I could see a few running around. 😀 

I started with a Leshiy II. It's getting harder for me to go back to "cockers" after the semi.

Pot gut b
Pot gut d

Pot gut e
Pot gut c

I'd brought the AirMaks Katran to try as well. Weird to shoot after the Leshiy. VERY front heavy and long. It does shoot with a flat trajectory with little elevation compensation needed between 30-75 yards. I kept shooting high on distance stuff until I just trusted the fact it didn't need holdover. I'd shot a couple that were on the side of a steep hill. 75ish yards and they just rolled down the whole hill.

pot gut a

Shot for several hours and ended up with over 30 Pot Guts and 4 pigeons in the barn. 

pluric
(@pluric)
Topic starter  

Busted! I was out shooting pot guts on family owned private property. I had finished and was just going to back up the car. I look in the side mirror and see an officer walking up. I roll down the window and he asked what I was doing? I told him I'd been shooting pot guts with an air gun on the ranch. Apparently someone walking their dog saw me and called the police stating "someone with a rifle was shooting". He had a pretty good idea what I was doing knowing the area.

He was way cool and we spoke for a while. He wanted to see my guns. I asked if he wanted to try one? He told me being on duty kept him restricted from trying them. I did shoot a few rounds into the ground so he could hear how quiet it was. He did ask a few question about shot count and yardage capability. Confirmed what I was doing was completely legal and left me with a "Have fun!" Way nice guy.

Leshiy

I had really stopped to try out the Leshiy Classic with the additional air tube. It was on it's game. 😊 

leshiy a

ReplyQuote
wiseguy
(@wiseguy)

Way cool hunt! Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like fun, cool officer to boot!

pluric thanked
ReplyQuote