Notifications
Clear all

9-6-2020 squirrel hunt  

RSS

stevevines
(@stevevines)
September 6, 2020 14:47:06  

Decided to go to the WMA closest to the house again, the one at the end of Smith Springs Road in Nashville TN.

A few pics snapped while working the trail –

0906200819a HDR
0906200819c HDR
0906200819d HDR
0906200819d HDR

One has to zig zag on a trail to a small finger of land to cross a slew that leads to beaucoup shag bark hickory, red & white oak, and black walnut.

Noticed some motion in a big shag bark, so I froze, but was spotted, so the game of hide & seek begins. After what seemed like a lot of looking straight up and scanning through the scope, I spot the tree rat, steady myself and take a shot – a clean miss in fact – but this little carbine is so quiet, thanks to donny fl, the squirrel freezes – I re-load, take a second shot…BOOM… Haysoos Murphy the bolt was half open, but I recover, look up, and see the squirrel's dying quiver as it drops – a clean thu & thru shoulder/heart shot – 

0906200819 HDR

Decided to follow the shoreline and move amongst the hickories, and it didn't take long to see a grey scampering along some deadfall and hop into a big beech tree, so I quietly worked my way a little closer using river rock boulders as stepping stones, and began scanning the beech tree, eventually spotting a suspicous lump in the fork of two limbs – yep, that's a nutter staring right at me – I take what feels like a 40 yard offhand shot, and am rewarded with a loud POP –

Squirrel hunting this style is a solitary activity,and sometimes it feels like I'm making a "hole in one" without a witness -but still satisfying nontheless –

0906200853 HDR

Sat down close by after retrieval and eventually spotted and stalked one more successfully –

0906200909c HDR

This mornings bag, about to be soaking in buttermilk, tonight's hor's d'ourves

0906200911 HDR

Vines

Limbshaker thanked
Limbshaker
(@limbshaker)
September 7, 2020 08:15:07  

Good stuff Steve! You had me laughing at the "Haysoos Murphy bolt was open" part lololol

Nice looking hunting spot there, and good shooting! That looks like quite the ideal squirrel rig. 

Lookin forward to roaming the woods here soon, starts next weekend, counting the days! 

ReplyQuote
stevevines
(@stevevines)
September 9, 2020 20:43:34  

Yeah, after the intial @#$%&* didn't expect the end results, but what the hey -

Will be on the lookout for a post on your future field foray!

ReplyQuote
dbowling
(@dean)
September 14, 2020 20:40:07  

nice job Steve, haven't been but one more time killed 3.. Been Crappie fishing 1 or 2 times a week, have caught 500 since end of JULY.

ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)
September 15, 2020 10:04:24  

Nnnoyce hehe

Loved the story telling!

ReplyQuote