FX Timberwolf trigger went wacko today  

 

Diamondback
(@diamondback)
Joined:6 months  ago
Posts: 24
April 15, 2018 23:07  

I have an old school FX Tarantula, and a 2-shot FX Timberwolf. Both are 22's.
I love the trigger on my Tarantula, and have always noticed the trigger on my Timberwolf was a fair bit heavier.
While shooting the Timberwolf today it got even heavier. I mean, I had to make sure the bolt was all the way forward in the "Fire" notch, and not in the "Safe" notch, because there was so much resistance to get the rig to fire I thought it was on "Safe".
From looking at the schematic, I'm betting the "Sear Engagment" screw has moved, changing sear engagement? I don't know if turning this screw clockwise or counter-clock-wise increases or decreases sear engagement...but it's time to find out.
If anyone here has experience adjusting these triggers, please respond.
I read something that recommended putting tape across the sides of the trigger block to keep from losing the trigger pins?

Truth is Stranger than Fiction...


ReplyQuote
Diamondback
(@diamondback)
Joined:6 months  ago
Posts: 24
April 16, 2018 22:45  

FX Timberwolf trigger problem fixed!

Got the stock off by removed the 2 hex head screws on either side of the pressure gauge - no need to remove any trigger guard screws.

I used an allen wrench to adjust the allen screw "B - Sear Engagement Screw (2nd Stage Trigger Adjustment)" in front of the trigger. This screw couldn't have moved while I was shooting because it was Very hard to turn. It seemed to have a bit of loctite on the threads. I had to ease it back and forth a bit to break it free, and I was about to use some heat because I was afraid I might break the trigger piece it screws into, when it finally loosened enough to turn.

I did notice that this steel screw seems to be wearing a dimple into the aluminum where the steel screw end sits against the aluminum tube, which would have the same effect as turning the screw anti-clockwise...increasing sear engagement and 2nd stage trigger pull weight. I think I will look for a hard plastic cap to screw onto the end of this adjusting screw to prevent any more steel vs aluminum wear. If it works, I'll do the same to my Tarantula.

I worked in small increments when adjusting the trigger, 1/4th of a turn at a time, and after decreasing sear engagement about 1 full turn (turned the allen screw In / Clockwise a total of 1 turn), I turned screw "C - 2nd Stage Trigger Pull Adjusting Screw" about a total of 1 full turn Out / Anti Clockwise.

The result is a nice, clean let off that's at a nice weight. It feels a touch lighter and smoother than my Tarantula trigger and passes the bump test. I also made sure to try closing the bolt harder than usual several times to see if it would fire, & it didn't.

A related side note, I have a neat Webley Raider which is of similar design that I bought used, and it's trigger was so light when received that it would fire when closing the bolt, unless the bolt was closed very softly. I added a little bit more sear engagement using this adjustment (turned the "B" screw Anti Clockwise) and now this rig passes the bump test, still has the same light trigger pull, and no longer fires when closing the bolt no matter how forcefully done.

When I was done I put about 100 pellets downrange with the Timberwolf and it was a pleasure.

Truth is Stranger than Fiction...


ReplyQuote

  
Working

Please Login or Register